153UH Schrade / Uncle Henry - Tarnished blade

Hi,
Been coming to this forum for a while, and by browsing, I have learned a lot and haven't had to ask any questions until now.
I inherited a Uncle Henry 153UH from my Dad when I was very young. About 20 years ago I had a guy I worked with sharpen it and then put it in the leather sheath w/ pocket for stone that is original to the knife.
Anyway, at the time knowing nothing about blades, I left it sit in the sheath for about 18 years (didn't know better), until I went to show it to somebody, and was surprised by the amount of "tarnish" on it. I feel like it's from the leather sheath, as the dark spot on blade were raised.
Tried scrubbing it with a toothbrush and Hoppes No. 9 solvent, then scrubbed with lubricating oil.

Hope the pictures work. Please let me know if you have any ideas on how to get this blade looking nicer. Thanks

Yeah, it is probably from the sheath. Knives really shouldn't be stored in their leather sheaths as I believe the tanning process causes them to be acidic. I would try Flitz or some kind of metal polish to try to bring back some of the shine. Either way, the functionality of the knife shouldn't be hurt. If you intend to carry and use it it will acquire plenty of patina over that time as well.

hmmm, if the dark spots were raised, that sounds more like oxidation to me than tarnish. any of my old schrades that I've used are plenty tarnished, but don't think any of the 'tarnish' is raised so that you can actually feel it. is the 'tarnish' rough to the touch as well. if so, its oxidation (rust) and not tarnish. if it's rust, you can knock it back pretty easily with some super fine steel wool and oil. just keep the blade oiled and it shouldn't rust.

Back