A complicated guard for a dagger

You say it was custom made, and that you would have wanted a guard from the start...did you not express that to the maker, or did he disregard it?

Ah.
I'll be honest, I don't understand the extended ricasso(?). There's certainly room for a guard, and there are a few styles that would make use of that extra space; but, they're typically found on longer (read: sword) blades. Maybe a guard with some type of adornment that extends into/covers at least part of that area?
This was the first thing I thought of, with your descriptor "complicated" in mind and before I saw your images...it would be totally out of place on such a short blade (but it would do something with that space, lol).
HdegU2G.png

These are examples of the other type I mentioned - dressy extension into that area. You'd probably have to get it rehandled in the process; but that depends on the person doing the work and what ideas you have.
Y7aSMbV.png

7FSQHvo.png

Last edited:
Ah.
I'll be honest, I don't understand the extended ricasso(?). There's certainly room for a guard, and there are a few styles that would make use of that extra space; but, they're typically found on longer (read: sword) blades. Maybe a guard with some type of adornment that extends into/covers at least part of that area?
This was the first thing I thought of, with your descriptor "complicated" in mind and before I saw your images...it would be totally out of place on such a short blade (but it would do something with that space, lol).
HdegU2G.png

These are examples of the other type I mentioned - dressy extension into that area. You'd probably have to get it rehandled in the process; but that depends on the person doing the work and what ideas you have.
Y7aSMbV.png

7FSQHvo.png
Thanks! Interesting ideas, especially the third image. But how can that guard be attached now? Welding would ruin the temper...What other options are there/ Yeah...I really dislike that ricasso too.

For that you talk to a maker/smith.
Post your issue/question in the knifemaker section & see what they come up with. I'm just some random person on the Internet.

Thanks! Interesting ideas, especially the third image. But how can that guard be attached now? Welding would ruin the temper...What other options are there/ Yeah...I really dislike that ricasso too.
You could potentially have something made in two pieces that are tapped and threaded for small bolts, etc. I’m actually going to be looking for someone that can do something like that, hopefully for re-sale to others as well, in titanium via cad files and an end mill…

Back