A custom order I finished today...Sheath Pics Added!

Here's a camp knife made to a fellow forumite's specs. Steel is 52100, with a full flat grind, swept plunge, and light brut-de-forge flats. Nickel silver guard. Ivory paper micarta mortised handle with SS corby bolts and thong tube. 7" blade, 11-7/8" Overall. 1-5/16"blade height. Nice and comfy in the hand, balances at the guard. Working on the sheath, I'll post that in a couple days.

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

Last edited:
Really cool! The lines are spectacular and I really like the grind and choice of materials.

Finished the sheath on this one today. This is the first time I've tried this type of sheath construction. I like the design, it makes sense, looks good, and holds the knife well. This is also the first sheath I've cut out of the side of 9-10 oz Hermann Oak leather from my new supplier, Springfield Leather. So far it works like a dream. I'd been using horse hide for sheaths until now, had to switch when my supplier for that went out of business. I like this stuff! It's heavy, thick, and has a wonderful surface quality. It also works nicely. Enjoy the added pics, tell me what you think.

Forgot to add, check out the little bead I turned for the lace, out of scrap micarta from the handle.

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0036.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

I love that knife and sheath, great work Salem!
Looking forward to holding it in my hand and using it.
Andy

Salem, your work is incredible! Beautiful knife & sheath.

Great work Salem. That is a very nice package!

Do you inlet the tang into both halves of the handle, then epoxy the whole thing together? In one of the pictures I think I see a joint.

I haven't tried to make a handle like that before, but I can see some advantages. I think I'll try this, but maybe some spacer material would look cool in there too.

I don't remember seeing something like that before, although it's surely been done.

Am I missing something?

Thanks, guys. Grizz, yep the tang is scribed onto both handle halves, then milled equally into both sides with a little extra room for epoxy. A spacer might look cool for sure, if you try it I'd like to see the result. Often one can't even see the joint, this is especially true with darker, patterned stuff like green canvas. White is the hardest to work with no visible joints or scratches.

Thanks for looking!

Beutiful work Salem. That sheath is awesome man!

Thanks guys! Zach, no it's not zero- it's just not yet been sharpened in the pics. I do that a lot. The edge was about 0.020" before sharpening.

That is beautiful Salem!:thumbup: That ivory paper micarta gums up the belts something fierce don't it! Really nice work buddy, I love it.

Top notch work! The sheath is so cool! My wife likes it too.

Thanks guys! I think making this in Jade G10 would be be fun, I love how that stuff looks. I even have a bit more, maybe I'll use some next time I get to build whatever I want...

Back