• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Alan Folts--Great (belated)

I just got back to my college where I have internet access after the summer and I want to start things off right by giving a nod to Alan Folts, even if it is quite awhile after the fact.

Mr. Folts has been nothing but great to me since we first exchanged ideas. When he first posted pictures of his "Mantis" and asked for suggestions, I suggested the above name and a small modification, an index groove. I expected nothing except that maybe I could tell my friends I named the knife. Alan, however, offered me a Mantis for half price to pay for the name.

Weeks later, after getting my preferences for the custom touches on the knife (micarta and kydex colors) Alan remembered my original suggestion of an index groove, which even I had forgotten. He had decided not to use that suggestion, but was kind enough to suggest that he could add it to my knife. That's what we did, and the end product is cooler than the other side of the pillow! Weighing in at nearly nothing, it is actually lighter and easier to wear than the key lanyards most people wear around their necks at my school. The handle is the perfect size and shape even for my large, thick hands and the index groove, if I may say so, makes it that much better. The blade is simply a thing of beauty and devastatingly effective at slashing, draw cuts, and thrusts (the handle braces against the palm quite well.) The kydex is tight but when pulling against the neck the knife deploys too fast for most people to see where it came from (I know, because I tested it on my quad mates last weekend.
smile.gif

Finally, before this turns into a knife review, I was able to meet Mr. Folts at the Blade show last June shortly after recieving the knife and he was nothing but friendly and helpful all over again, patiently explaining other methods of concealed carry to my naive self. The man is a class act and I highly recommend his services. Thus endeth the lesson. . . .

Darn, Gwinny you had me worried - from the thread title I thought Alan had gone on to meet the big knifemaker in the sky!

Glad to see he's still making those great knives and that rumors of his demise are greatly exaggerated.
smile.gif

Thanks Gwinny, I am glad you like the knife and glad that you had such a good shopping experience here at Knife-Mart..
smile.gif

Actually, most of the things that Gwinny mentioned are true of most knifemakers. I think this is one of the main reasons I still make knives, its definitely not for the money...Most knifemakers are open people that are willing to share ideas, techniques, and friendship very openly...

I am glad you like the knife and everything, and I hope it just opens you up to the experience that is custom knives, the People are just as important as the knives they make..

Thanks... Alan..

I am also glad I am not deceased...
smile.gif

Where did you two go to school? Where I come from, belated just means it came late. I believe you're thinking of posthumous . . .
Like I said, I LOVE the knife. My friends LOVE the knife. My dad LOVES the knife . . . you get the idea.

Alan is Good people. He is pretty nice to us college students when it comes to financing as well. Someday he will be famous, so you better buy his knives before his head swells and inflates the prices..
smile.gif

YeK

------------------
It is not a matter of whether or not you are paranoid, it is a matter of whether or not you are paranoid enough.

AKTI # A000348

Back