• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Almost Scammed here

Letoff

Gold Member
I replied "I'll take it" on a post in the knife exchange. Shortly after, I get an email saying, thanks and here's my paypal and the exact amount the owner was asking. He says in the email that when I send the money, he will deliver the tracking info as he is headed to the post office now. Struck me odd as I have purchased 10 or so knives on here and not once have they responded via email. I immediately sent a pm to the owner and couple hours later he responded with his paypal, NOT THE SAME as the email, NOT HIS. So I've been through my profile, I don't see where I have entered my email address for the public to view. How did the scammer get my email ? Is it there for everyone's view and I just don't know how to view it ? Help please.

I replied "I'll take it" on a post in the knife exchange. Shortly after, I get an email saying, thanks and here's my paypal and the exact amount the owner was asking. He says in the email that when I send the money, he will deliver the tracking info as he is headed to the post office now. Struck me odd as I have purchased 10 or so knives on here and not once have they responded via email. I immediately sent a pm to the owner and couple hours later he responded with his paypal, NOT THE SAME as the email, NOT HIS. So I've been through my profile, I don't see where I have entered my email address for the public to view. How did the scammer get my email ? Is it there for everyone's view and I just don't know how to view it ? Help please.
I would do a search of the entire site for your email address.

Great job avoiding this recent scam that’s happening quite a lot on this forum. Search your own username and look for places that you may have listed your email. That’s how they’ve been getting users email addresses. You can delete the post, edit the post to remove your email or ask the mods to help.

I see my email address in my profile but I don't see anything that says "not for public view" or "public view" basically any choice that will let me hide it from view. I'll search now through site and see if I find it and report back.

Found a post where I posted my email in a thread. Edited it so it's gone now.
Wow ! What some folks will do to cheat, lie and steal. They have to be monitoring the knife exchange, waiting for someone to reply, then search all their post for an email address or some sort of contact info that you left. Sneaky Sneaky.
Be careful guys.

Found a post where I posted my email in a thread. Edited it so it's gone now.
Wow ! What some folks will do to cheat, lie and steal. They have to be monitoring the knife exchange, waiting for someone to reply, then search all their post for an email address or some sort of contact info that you left. Sneaky Sneaky.
Be careful guys.
It's more work than getting a Real job.... Hopefully that POS gets theirs.

Good Job for not getting scammed.

Keep up the good work, Everyone

Worth going through the many threads on this scam in GBU for additional tips

I've mentioned this before, just trying to help everyone avoid scams. Type your email address in the search bar of the forum. You should see any and all posts that include your email, then go through and delete 👍

Back