Alternative Pocket Bushman Ram Lock closing techniques

Hello,

I have had my PB for a few weeks now. I didnt like the lanyard possibly getting snagged, so I removed it and replaced it with very short paracord knotted with no finger loop. I've watched mulltiple videos on different ways to close this knife, and I was wondering. The gimping in the back on the Ram Lock bar, and the gimping on the curve, make it seem like fingers were meant to pull this lock.

With that, I've taken to closing the knife a few different ways
1) The Cold Steel Way
2) The 42 Blades Way
3) The Ricasso Stop (where I wrap my hand around the handle, choke up to have my index finger over the "guard", my index in the finger slot, and disengage the ram lock using my other hand with thumb on curved gimping and index on the rear gimping. My thumb lightly "starts" the blade moving and with my index finger right there, the index stops the blade at the generous ricasso and the blade is pinched between the index and the thumb. I move my fingers out of the way, and complete the closing of the knife)
4) The Assisted One-Handed Close (somewhere in this forum, I saw that if you are wearing jeans or tough wear, you can intentionally hook the ram lock on your jean pocket or piece of clothing, and disengage the lock, allowing you to use your index finger to close the knife) Now with this in mind, I basically grab the knife the same way as the Ricasso Stop, then disengage the lock using the hook method as described here. This allows me to close the knife one handed.

Now I know that people say option 3 and 4 will cut you, but I say that it's no different than people who let the blade drop on your index finger when disengaging the tri-ad lock or any other lock where gravity will take over. In this case with the PB, when you have your finger up near the Ricasso already to "catch" it, there's no momentum for it to cut your finger. And if you're talking about your hand losing it's grip and sliding the knife out of your hand as you pull on the ram lock, I think this is pretty much a non-issue as long as you're paying attention, AND you're using your strongest hand with the strongest grip on the handle. If you grip strongest on the handle, then the weaker of your grips will be applied to the disengagement of the ram lock. So if you're gonna lose grip, it'll be the weaker one. This ALSO leads to good credence that when disengaging the ram lock to close this knife, you want the lightest, failure prone, approach be applied to the pinch and pull part near the ram lock end, and not the blade end. So if a hand were to lose the tug-of-war required to close this knife, it's the hand that's doing the pulling, not the hand that's securely locked down.

Anyways, I just wanted to share my approach to this knife (I mainly use the Ricasso method with the pinch pull on the ram lock, not using the paracord)
and I'm interested in seeing if anyone else has a way they close this knife that's interesting?

tl;dr I close the knife while not using the paracord/lanyard and using my index finger to stop the blade at the ricasso

Back