An odd PH 2

As I'm going through my collection and getting everything photographed I have some questions about this PH 2. I bought it on eBay maybe ten years ago and I've been meaning to ask y'all experts on Schrade about it. I have never seen another one that has the same handle material as it's Grandpappy Schrade-Loveless. It didn't come with any box or papers to hint at its era. Anyone have any ideas? I can't find a sheath for it although I believe it came with one. I'm keeping this knife in my collection as a user, since I'll need to sharpen out that nick in the blade.

P1013141.JPG

Hi Monty from Australia,

Schrade's first Loveless knife was the RL-2 [Schrade-Loveless Hunter] my two were sold in 1975-76.

The next Loveless knife was called the Custom Hunter.

Your knife mast have been an early Pro Hunter, maybe made at the end of the 1970's... Ken.
source

source

Last edited:
I would be surprised if it was a parts put together knife. And yesterday when I was out looking for a sheath on eBay I saw this PH1;

e-bay.jpg

Only other one I've ever seen with the burgundy micarta handle. Also I thought the first one was the RL-2? The actual Loveless collaboration. I'm in possession of #0470 of that first run.

Monty, In my humble opinion your knife was made from left-over parts.

The handle covers/scales came from a late 1970's "Custom Hunter"

Or from "The American Quincentenary Collection." knife set.

As your knife has a PH2+ blade, it was most probably made after 1990.

A PH1 Blade [1991] and handle/ scales from a Quincentenary knife [1992] - is my best guess!

The only question I would like to pose, is why is there a brass pin in the bolster?

Thanks Koldgold... Maybe the pin was of a different grade/alloy of brass than the bolster? It's at least old enough to have some tarnish and they seem to be tarnishing differently. The blade though is pretty much unused, no scratches or scrapes from sharpening, other than the unfortunate ding in the edge. And when you say a parts knife, do you mean made by some random person? Or made at Schrade as a one off or a small batch? In my hand right now, it feels like a factory made PH 2. I unfortunately don't have another PH 2 at hand to compare it to, but the dimensions are;

Blade = 2 7/8"
Handle = 4"
And the blade is approximately 3/4" from the spine to its deepest point on the edge.

Monty,

When I call a knife a parts knives, I'm refereeing to a knife not being a production knife.

My guess is, A PH1 Blade [1991] and handle/ scales from a Quincentenary knife [1992] .

Strange knives were also coming out of the Schrade Factory in 2003 and 2004.

I have a PH1 with the Blue Peach-seed handles - I believe made for a cancelled order.

We must remember, a lot of water has ran under the bridge, since 2003 and Today... Ken

I have a RL-2 ser no. 0225. plain rivets. I will post some pics soon. And it doesn't say Loveless on the blade.

Page will not allow me to add image. no select function. no drag and drop
The production RL-2 Schrade Loveless knives, had stainless steel bolts and brass nuts, holding the handles on.
When ground down and polished, they look like rivers. They look like a bird's eye...

mw999: Please post photos of your knife... Ken

Last edited:
Back