Annoyed

Better steels / blade materials. You cant get a cruwear blade with a sturdy G10 handle. Most of the other steels are also exclusives. The only PM2s you can pick up at the store are S45VN or Cruwear (with micarta)

I'm not trying to be an ass, but steel/blade materials are synonymous, and are one point of personal preference, which does not equate to better. Many folks clamored for micarta to be used instead of G-10, and Spyderco obliged those requests. Many people also think that micarta is "better" than G-10. You see where this is going?

Also, to be fair, exclusives typically sit available for purchase on dealer shelves for quite a long while these days; typically months, that I see. If the overall annoyance is in regards to just being too late at the draw for purchasing an exclusive-run model, that's really a personal problem, and not something to put Spyderco out on.

S45VN is still a great steel, the only downside being is that it's not "elusive enough" to be considered great is absolutely asinine. Folks need to keep reality firmly in check when it comes to these sorts of "issues".

Spyderco has pondered the idea of a custom shop, but with the discussion of pricing becoming too high for comfort for a lot of folks, it seems that getting what you want at a price that you want to pay, may be too unrealistic to offer as a permanent solution to these sorts of "preferential bias annoyances".

Just my 2 pennies.

Only thing I find annoying about Spyderco these days is that they are pairing their best stainless steels (IMO) with the daintiest color stock scales. Pink, teal, yellow, etc. 💅🤣

Maybe read the original post that I’ve tried 3 separate knives and have already returned them for the same issue.
Did you return all 3 to Spyderco's warranty dept, or to the store/online vendor? I asked because you were directed by Kristi (a Spyderco employee) over on the Spyderco forum to send it into the warranty dept. No one can definitively answer your question online with no pics. At best you'll get told to disassemble the knife, clean it, and then use (insert X brand here) lube. If you were to send it into Spyderco's warranty dept then you could get an answer. Returning it to a vendor will just see them cleaned up and resold.

Or just keep returning them in the hopes you get one that meets your approval.

Reactions: DMG
I guess my point is why is a cruwear blade with g10 scales “exclusive” there should be a standard color set that you can buy any day of the week. But there isn’t. The only option is a flexible Micarta that I’ve had issues with on two separate knives.

If you want to stick with the PM2 platform, Knifecenter has G10 PM2 with S45VN and S110V options. You seem to be focused on the PM2/Cruwear, but if you are willing to look at the Native 5, they have the all black G10/Cruwear N5 in stock. And if you want to go big (and expensive) they have the gray G10/Cruwear Stretch XL, too.

Bento Box has the black G10/magnacut PM2 and the G10/K390 PM2. I like K390 as much as I like Cruwear, it's a great steel.

If you keep an eye on the exchange, G10/Cruwear PM2s pop up occasionally.

Last edited:
If you want to stick with the PM2 platform, Knifecenter has G10 PM2 with S45VN and S110V options. You seem to be focused on the PM2/Cruwear, but if you are willing to look at the Native 5, they have the all black G10/Cruwear N5 in stock. And if you want to go big (and expensive) they have the gray G10/Cruwear Stretch XL, too.

Bento Box has the black G10/magnacut PM2 and the G10/K390 PM2. I like K390 as much as I like Cruwear, it's a great steel.

If you keep an eye on the exchange, G10/Cruwear PM2s pop up occasionally.
I picked up a Magnacut PM2 from KnivesPlus and had them put on some OD Green AWT Agent scales, should be delivered today.

Did you return all 3 to Spyderco's warranty dept, or to the store/online vendor? I asked because you were directed by Kristi (a Spyderco employee) over on the Spyderco forum to send it into the warranty dept. No one can definitively answer your question online with no pics. At best you'll get told to disassemble the knife, clean it, and then use (insert X brand here) lube. If you were to send it into Spyderco's warranty dept then you could get an answer. Returning it to a vendor will just see them cleaned up and resold.

Or just keep returning them in the hopes you get one that meets your approval.
I had already returned them all before I made the post, the irritation was that they all seemed to have the same problem I've never seen with other PM2 / Para 3s. After an hour of flicking the crucarta ones get gritty and the lock grinds the blade while opening. I think the Micarta scales warp from using the compression lock and then bow inwards pushing on it which pushes on the blade. I think they should have some flavor of Cruwear / G10 available for purchase regularly,

Last edited:
... they all seemed to have the same problem I've never seen with other PM2 / Para 3s. After an hour of flicking the crucarta ones get gritty and the lock grinds the blade while opening. I think the Micarta scales warp from using the compression lock and then bow inwards pushing on it which pushes on the blade.

Never had that problem with my CruCarta PM2 ... but then again, "an hour of flicking the crucarta ones" in your world is probably more times than I have opened/closed the knife in the years that I have owned it -- or ever will in the rest of my life. You flicker guys must go through bearings like crazy. Might it be cheaper (and conserve Band-Aids) to switch to fidget spinners?

fidget-spinner-slow-motion-video-id683885242

Got Ritalin?

Last edited:
I had already returned them all before I made the post, the irritation was that they all seemed to have the same problem I've never seen with other PM2 / Para 3s. After an hour of flicking the crucarta ones get gritty and the lock grinds the blade while opening. I think the Micarta scales warp from using the compression lock and then bow inwards pushing on it which pushes on the blade. I think they should have some flavor of Cruwear / G10 available for purchase regularly,

I think I see the problem.

Do you disagree?
100%. Me and 80% of Spyderco / Benchmade owners flick their knives a ton. Flicking it for an hour isn’t even the start of a break in for a good knife to polish out the phosphor bronze washers. It takes a lot longer use to meld the parts to a smooth fit. And you do realize automatic, spring assist and flipper tab knives exist right? They put more strain on an action.

100%. Me and 80% of Spyderco / Benchmade owners flick their knives a ton. Flicking it for an hour isn’t even the start of a break in for a good knife to polish out the phosphor bronze washers. It takes a lot longer use to meld the parts to a smooth fit. And you do realize automatic, spring assist and flipper tab knives exist right? They put more strain on an action.

Sounds like the problem is with the steel(or cermamic? dont know wich type Spyderco uses..) ball riding on the blade.

Have u tried pressing the lock and check the action on just the washers? I doubt they are the problem.

Sounds like the problem is with the steel(or cermamic? dont know wich type Spyderco uses..) ball riding on the blade.

Have u tried pressing the lock and check the action on just the washers? I doubt they are the problem.
Yeah. If you hold the compression lock back the blade flips around freely. It’s the lock / ball. I actually ordered another one as I want to figure out out because I love this knife.

I doubt 80% of benchmade and spyderco owners sit around flipping their knives for hours. Most of us use them and put them back in our pocket.

I have knives i have owned for 20+ years that dont have an hour of flipping time on them and they are quite smooth. If you want a fidget toy, buy a fidget toy.

Also, if you are just doing it in a misguided attempt to break in the knife, you should disassemble, clean and lubricate it at some point in the process. Like changing your break in oil.

Just started looking at Spyderco and all of the good ones are exclusives and gone. What the heck.

Gone
Knife center PM2 Satin Cruwear w/ black G10s
DLT PM2/PM3 DLC Cruwear w/ purple G10s
Sprint Run PM2 Satin Cruwear w/ Grey G10s

Why is all the good stuff unobtainable? Do they not like selling knives? I’ve tried and returned 3 Crucarta PM2s that all start out like butter then get super stiff and grind after a day. The Micarta scales warp / bend and push against the lock bar which puts pressure on the blade. If I bend it back it works for a few flicks then grinds again.

So all I’m left with is a S45VN G10 option… ridiculous

I googled and found several stores that currently have the Crucarta PM2, e.g., KSF, DLT, National Knives, etc. The black PM2 Salt in Magnacut (quite comparable to CW) also seems to be easily available. You can get the G10 purple Cruwear PM2 (either satin or DLC) on ebay, for ~5-10% up-price. You could also switch scales if you don't like Micarta. So I see no problem getting what you want.

"I’ve tried and returned 3 Crucarta PM2s that all start out like butter then get super stiff and grind after a day"

Maybe switch the platform ? I used to like the PM2 until I realized that it's hard to adjust perfectly and stay like this if you actually use it (whatever the scales are made of), and also, the compression lock is a hot spot when you really use the knife. Maybe try a Manix 2 ? (my favorite now)

Just my 2 cents. I believe for a large scale manufacturer Spyderco puts in extensive research and development to their products including blade geometry heat treatment and ergonomics. If there are complaints from the knife community they listen and make improvements as seen in their continuous improvement platform. In my personal experience with models I’ve owned I have never had a problem with a Spyderco functionality for intended use. Hopefully Spyderco resolves any issues you are currently experiencing.

Chasing exclusives and sprints can be difficult but I look at it as the thrill of the hunt.

Best of luck in your endeavors.

If you are into Spyderco and unique steels then get used to it. You might sign up for some pre-orders as that might be the only easy to be assured of getting one. I did it for a little while and then moved onto other brands.

Back