Ask Toooj

If you do change your mind and want a replacement, you can call or e-mail customer service.
Hope this helps.
Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company
Very generous of you T Toooj given the circumstances :)

Dingy,

Ouch! When chopping into anything with a knife, one has to be careful. Especially if the material is frozen. Material that can be potentially harder than the steel edge (or close to the same hardness) can destroy the edge and beyond. Even so called soft pine/fir wood has knots (filled with calcium carbonates). Kephardt, Kochanski, et al; have expounded on the issues with Juniper/Hemlock knots and destroyed edges on axes and knives.
"Proper tool for the job" is a concept that is usually hard earned. Most butchers would use a band saw to cut thick cow shin bones.
If you do change your mind and want a replacement, you can call or e-mail customer service.
Hope this helps.
Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Thank you for you kindness. I do not wanna a relacement .
As pics shown above ,I think the wound on the edge has coarse grinds , and there is no sign of ductility.
Is it normal for 1095 steel on impact ? and 1075 steel can do better?
Thanks.

dingy.

Dingy,

1075 with it's lower carbon content should be tougher, all other things being equal. However, both 1095 and 1075 are high carbon steels and will chip and crack under high impact circumstances. A lower hardness would also help toughness but the hardness of the blade is set so user caution is always advisable. Butcher cleavers (which would be the preferred chopping tool) are usually hardened in the 48-52 HRc range...sometimes even lower. I've seen a lot of cleavers with rolled edges; which tells me a low Hardness on the blade.
It will take some doing but you can reprofile the edge to remove the chip-out. Also remember to reset the angles as the new blade edge will be thicker.
Hope all of this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Hello guys,

Any accurate info about this ?
How many made, contract etc
Thanks for help :

ogCqOdG.jpg

Mr. Moon,

That bayonet is called the OKC 1FTS. It was produced around the 2008-2011 range....not totally sure but it was gone by the time I returned to OKC in 2013.
I'll have to check but I do not think it was ever a contract bayo. It was sold commercially for a while.
I'll spend some time in the records and get some more info.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Mr. Moon,

During the time that Ontario was awarded the M-9 Contract, there was a big push to secure all of the US. Armed Forces bayonet contracts. I have seen drawings that show 8-10 Bayonet blade patterns.
Your pics show a prototype that was used as an attempt to move the Army away from the M-9 pattern to the OKC 3S pattern.
Obviously it didn't work.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Today, i received from my best friend PWCOSOL (an M9 bayos collector), this message :

Thanks for the link to the OKC 1FTS. I recall, a friend. telling me OKC was going to produce commercial versions of the FT-series. As it turned out, they only made a #1FT S & 3FT S (3S). All the scabbards I saw were based on the revised model adopted by the USMC. I have not seen the one pictured w/variant suspension in the link. In all likelihood it was easier to provide the standard OKC 3S scabbard which was already in production. Attached in PDF file is the listing from a large knife retailer whom acquired all the left-over USMC OKC trials bayonets directly from OKC. I cannot recall the exact name (and it was not on the copy I saved). I am pretty sure there were no more than 50 of each pattern (and likely fewer than that for some). Of the six variations made, only the 3FT in carbon steel (CS) was unavailable. This was probably due to the fact it was the pattern finally accepted by the USMC (with addition of the serrated blade in the final/ production model), so OKC kept them for continued testing. In addition, all 6 variations used the first pattern scabbard having only one retention strap, chocolate-brown suspension, and no "toe boot".
The 1FT, 3FT & 6FT were made with either a carbon steel (CS) or diamond steel (DS) blade (hence 6 variations). The CS has a sparkle to the gray finish & the DS has a smooth, black paint look to it. Either CS or DS was stamped onto the face of the lower end of the cross guard

ogCqOdG.jpg

Mr. Moon,

During the time that Ontario was awarded the M-9 Contract, there was a big push to secure all of the US. Armed Forces bayonet contracts. I have seen drawings that show 8-10 Bayonet blade patterns.
Your pics show a prototype that was used as an attempt to move the Army away from the M-9 pattern to the OKC 3S pattern.
Obviously it didn't work.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Hi Paul,
I suppose that it's not possible to know "how many made" about this model ?

Mkz4nqc.jpg

Mr. Moon,

Not bad information from your friend.
Let me do some searching of factory records.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Comapny

Hi Toooj,
Is the leather washers and sheath on the Ontario 499 pilot knife treated for rot resistance like the 498?
Regards Darryl

Is there a release date yet for those small flippers with the colored handles that debuted at Shot?

Last edited:
zanussi,

Yes, All Pilot Survival Leather is treated with a fungicide per Mil- Spec.

jstrange,

The small Drop Point, liner lock is available. The Spear Point, slip joint is on the water.

Mr. Moon,

Still researching your numbers.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

I have two questions,
When will the new 2019 knives be available?
I see you made a knife called the journeyman, a bolt knife with a sheep's foot blade.
How about the "Bush pilot" Flat grind , No top guard , Wood saw.

Hi Tooj,

I just got a 499 in from one of the big Canadian dealers (3-11 production) and the swedge came unsharpened, unlike the first one I bought a few years ago (from a different Canadian dealer). Just wondering if it's a fluke, or a purposeful change?

Either way, it actually works better unsharpened for for I use it for, I'm just curious is all.

Back