Battle of the big bowies. SP5 vs. SP10. Opinions?

19-3ben

Gold Member
Considering a big "Bowie" style knife. Not for any particular use, but just because, lets be honest, huge hunks of steel are kinda fun. Might even make a drop leg kydex sheath for it and pull it out while a "whish, whish" sound until my wife hears me and I have to lie about what I'm doing. :D

Ok, more seriously, these would be primarily for fun, but might see use around the fire pit in the back yard. Would likely be battoned, used for limbing, etc... May make it to a camp site on a car camping trip.
Two very strong contenders are Ontario's SP5 and the SP10 Marine Raider. They both have similar blade lengths at right around 10", 0.25"thick blades, both in the low-mid $50 range, and identical handles (as far as I can tell). You can see why they make so much sense in a comparison.

So where are the strengths and weaknesses of each? Where does one excel vs. the other?

I'm leaning toward the SP5 because it looks like it has a little less exaggerated of a clip, but could easily be convinced either way.

Interesting. Usually when a company produces two very similar knives, there is all sorts of chatter discussing one vs. the other, and how each one serves its own niche, etc.... But in the past couple days I've gotten 64 views and no comments.

I wonder what the silence is telling me.

You under estimate big bowies.

I have carried and used the SP10 for years. When I go hiking deep into the woods it is usually on my belt and for good reason. Instead of carrying an axe (of which I own both a Gransfors Burks Forest axe and a Husqvarna) I carry my SP10. It acts as my camp axe as it is liter to hike with than a regular axe. I like my axes if I am going to do some serious shelter building but for weekend hikes I like my SP10 better. Its good at making tent stakes, hammering tent stakes, splitting wood, chopping off fish heads, and other camp needs. It also helps me feel safe knowing I have something with a little reach if needed. I also have a BK9 and I like it but I do not trust it as much as I trust my SP10. Trust is something that people do not talk about enough on here. They will talk about all kinds of stuff but do you trust your knife is what you need to know. I trust the simplicity and over build of the SP10 more than any other knife I currently own and have ever owned. The edge is strong and tuff and stays sharp as long as you touch it up when needed.

I would like to someday get the SP5 but I cannot justify it when I already have the SP10 as money is not as free flowing as it once was. I have seen videos and reviews of the SP5 and desire it but when it is all said and done I say to myself that I already have the knife that I trust so I need no more.

Regardless of what you get you cant go wrong. I know the SP10 will serve you will provided you understand that it is a tool and not just a fantasy knife. If you believe that neither have no practical use then get neither and get a light saber for play time but if you want a real working knife then get either but I will say that the SP10 will work.

You do know i was joking about it being a toy, right? I was just trying to keep things light.

I am no stranger to the benefits of a big blade. Right now my Condor Moonshiner fills that role, and I agree that it does a great job of doing both "knifey" things and "axey" things. By getting both jobs done with one tool it does keep things simple.

My question wasn't one of the validity of a large knife. It was just asking for the comparison of one to the other.

OKC, thanks for posting that. I watched the review and oh man... very compelling. Not sure how this is gonna play out. I really like both but they are just too similar to justify the usual "buy both" solution. Gonna put a little more thought into this one.

But seriously now, which one makes me look cooler when i make the "whish, whish" sound?;)

SP10 looks cooler. SP5 is a nice all-around knife. Chop, split, carve. Whatever you need it to do.

Personally I don't think you will be disappointed with either one... I have a SP-10 and I'm quite happy with it.

One thing to consider, the handles are the same with the exception of the SP-10 having a full steel guard to go along with the Kraton handle, the SP-5 doesn't have the guard.

I have been gone from this forum for a good while now but feel compelled to answer this one. I have a BUNCH of Ontario SP line. I will try to list them: SP-2, SP-Quartermaster, SP-Machete (w/modified sawback - that now works GREAT), SP-10 Bowie, SP-47, SP-Kukri, SP-51, SP-53. Also an 18" sawback machete & a 12" machete both customized by me. These blades absolutely ROCK---all of them. I have batoned the living snot out of mine. No issues. I would trust my life to any of the ones i have. Can they be broken---I suppose so, as most anything can be. Have i broke any of mine---Nope. I do not have an SP-5. Out of the ones i do have, the SP-53 chops the best. 1/4" of 5160 w/nose heavy end. Also, do NOT sell the machete's short. I once outchopped someones $600+ custom knife with my 12", $21 machete. He was NOT happy.

Ontario is a lot like another black knife maker: Excellent HD hard use product, at a working mans price & still Made in America. You simply can't beat that.

I was first worried about the tip of the bowie (it drew blood the first time i touched it, literally---it is like a needle). I have not broke it yet. I do baton my knives. I do NOT throw them. The SP-Machete was OK when i got it. It just didn't perform the way i thought it should. So, after a wicked sharpening session & sawback modifications w/my Dremel tool, it is now the tool i expected. I do have to wear a good glove when using the flat tip to shave bark or whatever because the sawback will cut your skin. The 5160 steel is simply awesome. I batoned 3 large pieces of firewood into kindling & it would still shave the hair off my arm afterwards. Seriously, any of their 1/4' blades would be hard to break. Buy with confidence. SP-Bowie chops well. IMHO, it is also one of the best looking & functioning bowies that you can buy.

Also have a Justin Gingrich Signature Series RD-6---3/8" of S-7 tool steel goodness !!!

Hope this helps.

Hi Toooj ! :D

Last edited:
I have owned both for over 15 years. The sp10 was my first large knife and it has performed every task ive needed it to do. It gets the cool factor points over the sp5 hands down. It is the better chopper in my opinion.

The sp5 is the better all around knife of the 2. It is lighter easier to handle can do everything the sp10 does just as good or better except chop and maybe baton. I have older style sheath and it has held up well over the years.

The handles are the same as far as i can tell.

The sp10 does have a doudle guard that can get in the way if your trying to choke up. The sp5 has a single guard that doesnt get in the way as much i think anyways.

Back to the guard on the sp10 over the years it got a little loose and i had some corrosion issues underneath of it.

I think the sp10 might look cooler but it is heavy you might have trouble with blade speed and making tge whoosh whoosh sound, but you could make it with your mouth. I know for a fact that you can make the whoosh whoosh sound with the 5 for real.

My vote is for the 5 but either will be a great choice.

I know this an older thread and you might have decided already but if you haven't i hope this helped.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Actually, I still haven't decided. Admittedly, the purchase of a Spyderco Manix 2, S110V with blurple G10 scales got in the way. It kind of jumped to the head of the line, but now Im back to looking at these knives again, so I'm really glad you all have weighed in. Thank you!

If you were more orientated towards lighter brush, I'd suggest the RTAK II. I tested one out a few years ago (vs a tomahawk and another large knife, so the first part of the article is about tomahawks), and was pretty impressed with everything except for its performance on thick hardwood.

It did a pretty good job on everything else, though...

Bark-3-450x281.jpg

RTAK-beans-open-450x343.jpg

RTAK-slice-1-450x337.jpg

John

I really like the sheath on my SP-10,it has two straps and if you click the bottom one open the knife can be withdrawn with out touching the sheath,compleatly loose but will still not be liable to fall out,pretty slick but you really have to put hands on to appreciate. :thumbup:

Just got my SP10 and love it, my first large knife outside of khukuris and I'm impressed. While I'm a fan of the axe for my wood chopping needs, the SP10 makes quick work of the new growth alders, spruce, maple etc in the woods. I think it'll be spending a fair amount of time on my belt from now on.

For all round use I'd have to say its the SP-10 as with no sharpened swedge its the better batoner and well its weight is a great chopper, and its hilt more than once kept my hand from sliding up.

But then I don't own an SP-5 yet...

Do any of you know if Ontario's sp line come any sharper than the did 10 years ago? I bought much of the sp line then but let much of it go due to the edge geometry but would like to consider these again. I got an sp50 and edge is awesome.so I wonder if I should give the 10 another shot?

Do any of you know if Ontario's sp line come any sharper than the did 10 years ago? I bought much of the sp line then but let much of it go due to the edge geometry but would like to consider these again. I got an sp50 and edge is awesome.so I wonder if I should give the 10 another shot?

I wouldn't let the edge geometry of any knife keep me from buying it if I really wanted it.

If you don't have the skill level to get the edge how you want it, just send it out to one of the professional sharpeners on here, there's quite a few on here that are very good.

The one I personally recommend on here is Jason B.

I can sharpen a knife but I can't do what he does, his work is truly amazing... one of the knives that he has done for me was a SP10.

All that being said, as far as the factory edges go it's really going to depend on the skill level of the sharpeners at OKC, you might get a good edge, you might get one that's not so good.

I will say that OKC's quality has improved greatly as of late, I would imagine Toooj has played a big part in that.

I have two SP43's and if I didn't personally know better I'd swear the edges were professionally sharpened, they are that good.

Sorry for the long rant, in short... yeah give them another try :D

I have been gone from this forum for a good while now but feel compelled to answer this one. I have a BUNCH of Ontario SP line. I will try to list them: SP-2, SP-Quartermaster, SP-Machete (w/modified sawback - that now works GREAT), SP-10 Bowie, SP-47, SP-Kukri, SP-51, SP-53. Also an 18" sawback machete & a 12" machete both customized by me. These blades absolutely ROCK---all of them. I have batoned the living snot out of mine. No issues. I would trust my life to any of the ones i have. Can they be broken---I suppose so, as most anything can be. Have i broke any of mine---Nope. I do not have an SP-5. Out of the ones i do have, the SP-53 chops the best.

The SP-53 is unbeatable as a chopper.

It always surprises me that everyone talks all the time about Becker Bk-9s, the RTAK II or the Esee Junglas, when all of these are of thinner 3/16" stock at a serious cost in performance, with full tangs at a serious cost in weight in the wrong place... I never found the Bk-9 to be a great chopper, for instance, and it would be if it was 1/4" stock, even more so with a stick tang...

The SP line is cheaper, and in many ways better made: My Bk-9 had a heat curved blade, and, even worse, had the edge completely not centered to the spine... Very low grade stuff that my SP-8 just scoffed at... Even the paint on the SPs is smoother and less prone to clog up on grime...

All the big SPs are 1/4", have vibration-killing Kraton handles on proper stick tangs, and even OK quality sheaths from what I could see. If the hook end gives you pinky bite, you can simply carve it off... That is simply not an issue...

At a reasonable weight of around 22 ounces, the SP-53 will simply out-chop everything, including Battlemistresses. Even most Kukris of he same weight would be left behind I think...

Gaston

Well, I am a huge BK&T & Ka-Bar fan as well. They all make some great stuff. But this is the Ontario forum, so...... Yeah, the SP-53 is a chopping beast, no doubt. But, I have also learned through the years, that there is a LOT to be said for speed as well. You get more speed with thinner, lighter blades. I out chopped someone once, with a $600 custom knife & I used my $21 Ontario machete. He was mad beyond belief. Mine was not stock. I sharpened it myself & we were chopping dry 2x4 pine. Was it a fluke ? IDK. If you want a fair comparison, get you a Ka-Bar #1248. Same shape as the SP-53, but it is a thinner blade. 0.165 vs the 0.250 of the SP-53. It is also a chopping beast & it is faster in the hand. But again, hands down the SP-53 simply because it is made of the steel that can cut other steel, 5160---ROCKS !!! SP-53 for the win. Hope they never stop making it.

Didn't see this was an ontario forum...only have the SP1 but I love it. That being said, I wouldn'the use it for heavy chopping or batoning.

Last edited:
Back