Beavertail Dagger

Bill Siegle

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Here is my new Beavertail Dagger. It’s design is based off an old H&B Forge throwing knife I used to own when I was a teenager. I’d picked up the H&B at a Mountain Man rendezvous. I spent a lot of time putting cutting edges on it. I used it for all kinds of adventures and it served me very well as a cutter and a thrower. It was lost years ago to the backyard because of a missed throw. I suspect it snuck under the grass. We never found it and I missed it dearly. I’ve tried several times to recreate it but never hit the mark. I think this time I got what I wanted :) I went a smidge larger in length at 12in overall. The blade is 2in wide and 7in long. I used 1/4in 5160 for the blade. The scales are textured green G10 with copper harness rivets for fasteners. I acknowledge that a wide dagger is not the perfect camp knife but the old H&B served me well enough. I know this one will be fun around camp! I can cut, chop, and even defend the tent from aggressive stumps!!! :D

View attachment 1710334

That looks great - especially the copper rivets!
Did you use copper specifically because this is a thrower?

Are you going to make a set or trio so you don't have to retrieve it or them as often? It looks nice and stout as well.

That looks great - especially the copper rivets!
Did you use copper specifically because this is a thrower?
The copper rivets are traditionally used on throwers as they are tough but easy to replace when necessary. I love the look too!

Back