Benchmade Shootout - first impressions

brj

I like OTFs. Not having to shift your hand around and affording to remain blissfully heedless when closing an OTF to me vastly outweigh any potential disadvantage (bladeplay, rattle, maintenance, etc) they might bring.

I also like the aesthetics and heft of metal handles as much as the next guy, however I've watched myself mostly avoiding them during summer and winter.

So when I saw the Shootout announced, I knew I had to have one.

ANSzEqN.jpg

No-nonsense full-flat PVD-coated tanto blade. I think they’ve nailed it perfectly, it’s an EDC dream: not too thick BTE, a bit of belly here and there, primary tip pointy enough while not too fragile, secondary tip pronounced enough as to be useful.

The activation switch/button is narrow and triangle-shaped, so on paper it should have looked like a bad idea. It’s not, works smoothly and does not require you hit the thumb-gym before using it.

As expected, the CF Elite does not feel exactly premium in hand. Additionally, the internal cavities do act as a sound amplifier and the clickety-clack of the action might not be awe-inspiring, but in my experience the action has been 100% reliable, no misfiring at all.

It carries ultralight, flat and thin and has opened up a new world of possibilities in terms of summer-carry (I typically wear shorts and carry a lot IWB, so weight is a primary concern).

Not too happy with:

1/ the rough texture near the switch. Might work for people who hammer-grip all the time, but I’m not one of them (I favor saber, filipino, pinch grips depending on what I’m doing, never hammer). It kind of shreds pockets, skin (remember, I mostly carry IWB in shorts), and has a nasty way of arresting the motion of inserting/retrieving the knife into/from the pocket.

2/ the glass breaker. Just because Microtech slapped a glass breaker on their OTFs some decades ago doesn’t mean everybody else should follow. (Might be a good combo if you build your target group around first responders etc but it seems to me the appetite for OTFs is growing and focusing on a rather narrow market niche doesn’t look like a good business practice). Anyway, I’ve partially solved this by removing the deep-carry clip (that was only exposing the glass breaker, so it was a non-stop pokey-pokey fest) and slapping on an old-school parkerized clip. With more handle sticking out, retrieval works better and with less chances of hand puncture, yay.

OTIUMIB.jpg

All in all, to me the pluses outweigh the negatives. You get an extremely light and durable knife that might not feel premium but definitely functions as one, at a quite appealing price/quality ratio.

I still love mine. It definitely doesn't have quite the sex appeal of a Microtech or Heretic, but the cutting geometry and ergos are both very, very good. IMO, it feels like a Benchmade OTF with a Spyderco design philosophy, made to cut and function comfortably rather than impress visually. I honestly like carrying my flashier OTFs a bit more, but if I know I'm going to be using my knife a lot I reach for the Shootout, which is a pretty strong endorsement.
PXL_20220426_020749230.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

I thought I would just bring this to the top instead of making a new thread. I have been looking at the Shootout for several months now. The idea of a sub $300 OTF with a good warranty, sporting my favorite new steel, and coming in under 3oz for EDC was an attractive one.

My LKS finally had one, so I snapped it up Thursday. So far, I generally like it. B brj and Insipid Moniker Insipid Moniker already hit a lot of the same things I noticed about it, so I'll just kind of mention what I found good and not so good about it.

First of all, the good:

I like the fact that it is easier to open and close than my Ultratechs. While the Ultratech does seem of better build quality (more on that in a minute), the Shootout excels at being more hand filling and easier to actuate.

I love the weight. As a guy that tends to carry a heavy knife, having a lighter edc for work is nice when I already have the normal junk in my pockets.

I like the wide opening of the deep carry clip. The glassbreaker doesn't bother me, but I especially like the way it easily clips to my jeans pocket. It feel more work-knife in this regard.

I love the steel choice. Having the Cruwear over D2 makes this knife a slight step above something like the Claymore. Two different designs, I know, but the Shootout feels worth the extra few bucks.

I like that the blade is centered in the handle and while it certainly has wiggle, it doesn't seem to be any worse than an Ultratech and has less forward play (like when you pull the blade upward out out of the channel). That really doesn't matter, just something I noticed.

Now for the not-so-good (which are admittedly nitpicks):

I am really having a hard time warming up to this funky tanto-ish blade shape. I feel that a simple drop point would have been better or going with a hard angled American tanto point. This one is just...eh.

The edge on mine was both poorly sharpened and the grinds are uneven. I get that this isn't a knife commanding Adamas money, but it shouldn't be difficult to make sure the blade is both sharp and even. Being that Cruwear is a pretty hard steel, fixing this by hand is going to take me a lot of time with a diamond hone. What I like about Cruwear is that if you don't let it get dull, it responds pretty well to a standard stone and strop. This one needs more than that. Fixable, but not really something I feel like I should have to do on a $270 knife.

I don't like the FDE finish on the blade paired with the black handle. I wasn't too jazzed about the bronze finish on my Combat Troodon with the black handle, but it's at least subtle. I feel like this needed a matching handle or just go with a black coat. The grayish black on black of my Mini Adamas looks good. Not sure why they went with the dog poop finish.

I'm really mixed on the handle. Part of me loves the weight and understands that polymer is fine. It works well on firearms, so there is no reason that an OTF needs an aluminum handle. I just find it nicer. The way a MT gets little wears and dings in the finish reminds me of a well loved and carried Beretta. Honest scars. Dings on plastic just make it look like worked plastic. I guess I should think of this knife as more of a Glock.

All around, I'm pleased. I haven't done much with it short of cut a few boxes open. I did my best to smooth out the edges in an Arkansas stone, but it had limited effect. The blade cuts fine but it's not close to popping hair. Then again, I bought this as a knife to use at work so I don't bugger my Microtechs more than I need to. Sharp enough is sharp enough.

A 3.5" blade made of hard use steel sporting a pretty indestructible handle (in terms of dropping it etc) should make for a solid edc on the job site. I plan using this one hard like I have used my Claymore the last few months to see if it holds up. I much prefer an OTF for work if possible just because it is easier to use then pocket when finished. The Shootout is a bit loud but not obnoxious and certainly doesn't feel like it is going to jump out of your hand like a side opening auto.

For what I spent, I'm pretty impressed
8.25/10.

I found that when I first received it it felt light and cheap. After carrying it for a few days my feeling towards it changed, its light weight, slim with a high quality super steel blade. Haven’t used it hard but with this thin of blade it won’t be used for batoning for fire prep. Quality wise and longevity has yet to be determined but all indications show I made A good choice.🤔🤗

I found that when I first received it it felt light and cheap. After carrying it for a few days my feeling towards it changed, its light weight, slim with a high quality super steel blade. Haven’t used it hard but with this thin of blade it won’t be used for batoning for fire prep. Quality wise and longevity has yet to be determined but all indications show I made A good choice.🤔🤗

Initially it felt chincy to me..... After a few dozen flicks and some analysis I think it's a solid performer...
I think the weight threw me and my " feeling " A curve 😜
I like it

I just bought a nice Ultratech, but if I could get a Shootout with a drop point blade it would be mine.

For those that still harbor doubt that we are under constant surveillance, here’s the definite proof: barely a year has passed since I’ve formally voiced my complaints on this here public forum and, lo and behold, a manufacturing behemoth takes pains to address my points.

Not too happy with:

1/ the rough texture near the switch. Might work for people who hammer-grip all the time, but I’m not one of them (I favor saber, filipino, pinch grips depending on what I’m doing, never hammer). It kind of shreds pockets, skin (remember, I mostly carry IWB in shorts), and has a nasty way of arresting the motion of inserting/retrieving the knife into/from the pocket.

2/ the glass breaker. Just because Microtech slapped a glass breaker on their OTFs some decades ago doesn’t mean everybody else should follow. (Might be a good combo if you build your target group around first responders etc but it seems to me the appetite for OTFs is growing and focusing on a rather narrow market niche doesn’t look like a good business practice). Anyway, I’ve partially solved this by removing the deep-carry clip (that was only exposing the glass breaker, so it was a non-stop pokey-pokey fest) and slapping on an old-school parkerized clip. With more handle sticking out, retrieval works better and with less chances of hand puncture, yay.

:D

J1zyflh.jpg

QScWCm6.jpg

For the new incarnation of the Shootout, Benchmade has switched back to grivory (from CF-elite) and replaced the glassbreaker with a (much more useful, in my book) lanyard shackle, I hereby wow to buy at least another variant (be it seafoam, red or blue).

For those that still harbor doubt that we are under constant surveillance, here’s the definite proof: barely a year has passed since I’ve formally voiced my complaints on this here public forum and, lo and behold, a manufacturing behemoth takes pains to address my points.

:D

J1zyflh.jpg

QScWCm6.jpg

For the new incarnation of the Shootout, Benchmade has switched back to grivory (from CF-elite) and replaced the glassbreaker with a (much more useful, in my book) lanyard shackle, I hereby wow to buy at least another variant (be it seafoam, red or blue).

You sir, must have the ear.of the knife.gods!!!! Now ask for a green canvas micarta handle please!!!😜

I'd still love to see.one in OD green canvas micarta........😜

That'd be an interesting blade......🤔

Besides, green n tan work nicely😉

Back