Boker Super Blades?

Thumbing through the Boker kitchen cutlery and saw some interesting materials for blades.

Cera Titan: a Titanium blade which boasts 5x the edge holding of any steel knife, and a ceramic blade which makes claims of 10x the edge-holding of steel. Apparently capable of slicing through a glass bottle neck!!

Just how true are these claims? Forgive my ignorance but I would be most interested in learning about what makes this technology possible and any testimonial.

What are the negatives? Sharpening seems like one, especially since the ceramics are equally as hard as diamond?

My grandma uses a Kyocera ceramic blade for her cooking needs. Ceramic is very hard and holds an edge well, but what you trade is a lot of toughness. You'll never see your edge roll, but cut through enough bone and I bet you'll chip it. Drop it on a tile floor and its done. I think its a nice idea in theory, but there's a reason you never see any professional chefs using them. As far as sharpening, I have no idea. I imagine it would dish out my waterstones before it took an edge.

My grandma uses a Kyocera ceramic blade for her cooking needs. Ceramic is very hard and holds an edge well, but what you trade is a lot of toughness. You'll never see your edge roll, but cut through enough bone and I bet you'll chip it. Drop it on a tile floor and its done. I think its a nice idea in theory, but there's a reason you never see any professional chefs using them. As far as sharpening, I have no idea. I imagine it would dish out my waterstones before it took an edge.

See link. Also, you can sharpen them with diamond stones if I remember correctly

As far as the claims of it cutting through a glass bottle, that I doubt, at least I doubt that it could do it with any sort of smoothness.

I'm real curious about this ceratitan stuff too. I want to see a video review/test done with the stuff.

I use a Cera Titan chef knife. It has a Titanium blade that is fortified with carbides for wear resistance as well as some Silver to increase ductility. I agree that the edge lasts 5X as long as a good cutlery steel. Boker no longer makes these. They didn't compete in the looks department with damascus clad sandwich blades. Ceramic blades made of Zirconium carbide are supposed to be the next hardest material to diamond, but diamonds are 20X harder. I had trouble sharpening ceramic blades on diamond "stones" because they don't drag a burr. The material falls off and disappears. The Cera Titan blades sharpen up just fine on Carborundum and Corundum stones. I use my ceramic knives as finishing steels. They are as hard as a rock and as smooth as glass.

I don't know about these titanium knives, but a good steel kitchen knife is going to be able to hold a thinner and sharper edge than a ceramic knife. A ceramic knife only has the advantages of being completely inert, and so much wear resistance, that you're more likely to dull the blade by chipping it due to brittleness than the edge wearing away.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Boker has some great blades coming our way with a whole range of new steel formulas.

Bohler N695 and T6MoV are two new choices for some great looking Arbolito drop pts too. Any opinions here?

I believe N695 a high chromium stainless but what is T6MoV?

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Boker has some great blades coming our way with a whole range of new steel formulas.

Bohler N695 and T6MoV are two new choices for some great looking Arbolito drop pts too. Any opinions here?

I believe N695 a high chromium stainless but what is T6MoV?

Isn't N695 just 440C? Not my personal favorite, but whatever. T6MoV is a Tungsten added 0.6% Carbon with Molybdenum and Vanadium added stainless steel. Besides that, I have no idea.

Back