Brasso on Buck Vanguard

I was hoping some of you would know whether Brasso is safe to polish my Vanguard with. My concern is that it can damage the rubber spacers or ruin the lacquered wood handle overtime.

Last edited:
I've been using Brasso for years. If there's a problem, I haven't noticed it.
Folks say there's better choices, but I've had that stuff laying around so I'm gonna use it.

I would think storing it in the leather sheath would be more of a concern.
Consider wrapping the knife in plastic wrap before you put it into the sheath.
(of course don't store it in an extreme temp. environment).
That would help minimize the green goblin that the leather creates.

Congrats on the little one!
šŸ˜Š

It should also be noted that the handle is not lacquered, it's a resin impregnated laminate (usually made with Birch veneers) called DymaLux (aka Dymondwood). It's pretty bulletproof stuff in what it can stand up to.

I've used Flitz and Semichrome polishing paste to keep the brass shinny, and the handle didn't even blink an eye, getting some exposure to the paste. In fact, if the handle should get scratched, they can be buffed out with a polishing paste like Semichrome.

Also, the black spacers are not rubber, they are a black phenolic resin... and they will also stand up to Brasso and other polishes.

Last edited:
Brasso should be fine on that. But, Iā€™d store it out of the sheath or plastic wrap it as mentioned by GPyro GPyro . You could also oil it really good before you wrap in the plastic or coat it with paste wax/ren wax. When your son pulls it out of the sheath at 15 itā€™ll look brand new.

Back