Buck # 103 Question

I received this Skinner in a trade about a year ago, and am trying to determine the date of manufacture. The tang stamp reads as follows, as seen with the blade pointing downward :
BUCK
U.S.A.

No date code, no 'dots'. Would this be considered an inverted stamp?
Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Jeff

Your's would be from 1972.

1.Group 1 1972- Blade stamped BUCK, XXX, U.S.A. Stamp is upside down or inverted, read with the point down, Guard has two micarta spacers and two aluminum spacers. Pommel has two micarta spacers and one aluminum spacer. A holster style, or Flap over sheath was used and the knife came in a two piece yellow bow.

Fantastic! Thanks so much, Dave. You are THE man!

These have long been my favorite Buck model (hence the username).

Jeff

You're welcome guys. I should have also added some additional info.

According to all the literature I have on them, the three line inverted stamp was used only one year, 1972. Prior to that, they were inverted but only one or two lines. In '72 they added the model number and the following year, the changed the stamp to read with the tip up as they are today.

That makes the 1972 knives instantly obvious without counting spacers, etc.

This one's in excellent, used cond., but not "pristine", so, because of her seniority, she's earned her place on my belt during deer season next week.
Thanks again, for sharing your expertise!

Jeff

Jeff, Its my favorite too. The size and its deep belly are what does it for me.. DM

Today I found a Buck 103, 3 line inverted, tip down, but only 1 micarta and 1 aluminum spacer at the pummel and at the guard end. No sheath, stopped at garage sale and paid $ 3 for it. Any idea what year it was made and any other information greatly appreciated

Today I found a Buck 103, 3 line inverted, tip down, but only 1 micarta and 1 aluminum spacer at the pummel and at the guard end. No sheath, stopped at garage sale and paid $ 3 for it. Any idea what year it was made and any other information greatly appreciated
welcome to the forum, this is an old thread from 2012. unfortunately, both plumberDave and David Martin are no longer with us anymore (R.I.P.). they're both in a better place.

someone else will be along to answer your question..... there is still a bunch of great knowledgeable fellas who collect and know the old Bucks here. I'll flag a couple of them to look at the thread. DeSotoSky DeSotoSky bertl bertl

in general its best to start a new thread.

Back