Buck 639 field mate vs Nighthawk for kayak knife

I haven't ever used it in salt water, but I have a little 857 with a bright orange handle that's been in my tacklebox for 7-8 years now and many fishing trips, and I will say that fresh water just doesn't seem to affect 420HC in the least, knife is still spotless and looks brand new.

I really like how easy it is to touch up the edge on 420HC out in the woods and water, have used a wet flat rock to do it, not sharpening really mind you because the edge wasn't dull, just used real light strokes to strop the edge basically and it was back to fish-stabbing sharp, lol.

The thought of using the NightHawk, FieldMate, or even the BuckMaster
as an on water knife brings up the image of Smokers on Jet Skis 🤣 🤣 🤣
tHo6l9P.jpg

The NightHawk and FieldMate would be well suited as camp knives but not my first thought as a practical boat knife on your vest. They are big and heavy. Buck actually made a good knife for this very purpose. The model 185 Tiburon Water Sports knife. It was was a collaboration with kayaker Ed Gillette. It is a bit obscure to find as it was only in the catalog from 1999 to 2004. There are 4 listed but the price is not for the timid. On the upside, it will cost less than your kayak.
view

The 180 CrossLock called the River Rafter is another. Came with a clip to attach to your vest.
Serrated blade best for rope work. There are some listed for sale right now. There are other versions of the CrossLock with a more conventional blade also.
A thermoplastic handled 110 LT or Slim Select as Z Zornhau suggested and Jeff of the North Jeff of the North displayed with a lanyard/clip would be a good economical choice for a more general purpose water friendly knife. All these choices are lighter in weight and less obtrusive on your vest than the NightHawk or FieldMate.

180-river-rafter-dec11-001-jpg.941140

Last edited:
Back