Bug questions (wasp/hornets)

Ebbtide

Platinum Member
70735646725__4670993E-8408-4CBD-BF5A-D1A0C8E61C301.jpeg

So it seems like every time I start a fire in my fire pit a couple of hornets come out from between the top tier of bricks. Always on the east side, same couple of bricks.
Over the winter I took that area apart and found no evidence of habitation.
I don’t see any traffic in the fire pit area but do see the occasional hornets flying around doing their thing.
These bugs have segmented bodies and are sepia/umber brown for the most part.
Like a giant ant with wings & a stinger.

It seems to me like they are holing up in the gaps for the cool nights, hence the east side for the morning sun. Or am I mistaken?

Each cool evening that we’ve had a fire they come out slow and lethargic. Not at all aggressive.
Today was in the mid 50s and I burned a big bunch of sticks. 3 came out, took off and got carried away by the breeze.

Is there a nest? Where?
What can I do to discourage them?
Not fun finding out that the bugs you were swatting at in the dark aren’t mosquitoes.

Sorry about the photo :)

70735646725__4670993E-8408-4CBD-BF5A-D1A0C8E61C301.jpeg

So it seems like every time I start a fire in my fire pit a couple of hornets come out from between the top tier of bricks. Always on the east side, same couple of bricks.
Over the winter I took that area apart and found no evidence of habitation.
I don’t see any traffic in the fire pit area but do see the occasional hornets flying around doing their thing.
These bugs have segmented bodies and are sepia/umber brown for the most part.
Like a giant ant with wings & a stinger.

It seems to me like they are holing up in the gaps for the cool nights, hence the east side for the morning sun. Or am I mistaken?

Each cool evening that we’ve had a fire they come out slow and lethargic. Not at all aggressive.
Today was in the mid 50s and I burned a big bunch of sticks. 3 came out, took off and got carried away by the breeze.

Is there a nest? Where?
What can I do to discourage them?
Not fun finding out that the bugs you were swatting at in the dark aren’t mosquitoes.

Sorry about the photo :)
Spray those bricks with wasp spray. If they're in there when you do it, it will kill them...if they're not the residue will keep them away for awhile. Repeat as necessary.

Thanks! Was curious about the lasting effects of the spray.

Back