Recommendation? Can I use a Ken Onion Work Safe sharpener on fine Japanese knives

I am on the verge of returning some Miyabi knives that I bought as a wedding gift. The newlyweds cannot use a whetstone or have them sharpened professionally. Assuming that I am good with a 15 degree angle is there a good reason not to use a Ken Onion Work Safe sharpener on them? Thanks for your advice.

I mean you cannn, I don’t necessarily think you should.
If you have a LOT of experience with this sharpener I guess it’s better than getting rid of the knives.

These are sophisticated tools that require proper maintenance, not to mention skill to use.

Return the knives.

These are sophisticated tools that require proper maintenance, not to mention skill to use.

Return the knives.
What is it about using the WorkSafe sharpener with a fine grit belt set at 15 degrees at fairly low speed that could cause damage to the knife, single or double bevel?

If you mean the Ken Onion Work Sharp then yes, you can sharpen those Miyabi knives on them. I have sharpened Wustoffs on the standard Work Sharp. You can sharpen pretty much any double bevel knife on them, but you need to acquire a knack for avoiding rounding the tip. Unlike stones using manual power and low speed, it is fairly easy to make a mistake that can be irrepairable.

All Work Sharps are designed for double bevel knives. The manufacturer states clearly that they are not to be used for single bevel.

But, unless you already have one, I wouldn't really recommend going out and getting one just for these Miyabis. All Japanese knives (Miyabi are Zwilling but made in their Seki Japan factory) are better suited for sharpening with Japanese Water Stones.

Two professional chefs i know did extensive testing with one of these Ken Onion Worksharp machines a while ago on their good quality personal Japanese knives (Takamura and Shibata Koutetsu gyuto's, both in R2/SG2 steel) to find out if such a machine would be a viable option for them.
Their end verdict was that A) the machine took off too much steel per sharpening session and B) the resulting edges didn't last anywhere near as long in the commercial kitchen as hand sharpening on stones or on Paper Wheels with diamond compounds.
True story.

Last edited:
I have a Ken Onion Worksharp and used it on my cheaper kitchen knives for a while and it works, but as others mentioned, it's not ideal. You can easily burn the edges or take off too much material. Then there's the issue of rounding the tip too easily if you're not careful. The only time I use the KO is for beater knives or when a friend brings me cheap kitchen knives that are not worth spending a lot of time on sharpening.

I use a Wicked Edge for all of my nicer knives.

What is it about using the WorkSafe sharpener with a fine grit belt set at 15 degrees at fairly low speed that could cause damage to the knife, single or double bevel?
The problem with the 15° on the Worksharp is that the angle measurement is going to be relative to the height and thickness of a knife. So in reality, the angle you're sharpening could be +/-5° or so.

grinding-wheel-seachoice-grinding-abrasives.gif

How about just a crock stick sharpener or Spyderco Galley V, sharpmaker or Gauntlet?

You might want to ask at this BF subforum for work sharp:

Back