CLOSED - David Mary Custom Experimental Knife in repurposed HSS

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Backstory: Crag the Brewer Crag the Brewer was kind enough to send me a high speed steel saw blade (M2) to try out for knife making. He believes very strongly in their suitability, and after having ground two blades with it, one for a pass-around, and this one, I have to agree. The edge retention and toughness seem excellent so far. Handle is Suretouch, and if you haven't tried it you are truly in for a treat. Comes with a Boltaron taco sheath. And I believe every good deed deserves another, so I wanted to give this one back to the community.

If interested, you can see a bit of my banging around in the shop to get it made here.

With no further ado, here is your new cardboard laser. Please post a cuss-free reply to indicate you are in. Giveaway ends Friday.

img_8844-jpg.1954141

img_8845-jpg.1954142

img_8846-jpg.1954143

img_8847-jpg.1954144

img_8836-jpg.1952943

That thing looks sick

Yes, it picked up an acute case of oxidation from the short trip from shop to home in the freshly washed but not quite dry sheath. ;)

Okay so just you guys? Alright if nobody else is in we'll decide the winner Friday using this method:

ameriglad-jpg.1954160

But seriously thank you both!

David, what type of saw blade was this harvested from? I see it was made of M2 did you soften first, then heat treat or grind from a blank. Thanks I’m kind of sure it was discussed in another thread but putting it here also might help answer some questions.

Now why aren't you in Martin? 🤨
I have to say David that hawkbill you made for New River Knife Works New River Knife Works is my go to box cutter. But was interested in the type of saw blade you used. I do appreciate the offer but I’m in on the pass around so still get to play with it for a bit but really like the hawkbill for pull cuts due to the recurve.

Back