Review Cold Steel Mini Leatherneck: not a terrible pocket fixed blade

TL;DR: Great as a fixed blade EDC for getting occasional knife work done, not my first choice as a work knife on account of the small handle. Grip is rock solid, but something like a Mora Companion would be more comfortable. Light in the hand and the small footprint is nice. 4/5 stars for me.

Technical specifications (from Cold Steel’s website)

Weight: 3.3 oz.
Handle material: Kray-Ex rubber (same as the SRK and Recon Tanto)
Blade thickness: 3 mm
Blade steel: 8cr13MoV
Blade length: 3.5 in
Overall length: 6.75 in

Initial impressions

I just received this little pocket Bowie, so this is by no means a long-term review. If the knife lasts for several years, I look forward to adding my comments then, whether it excelled or was found wanting.

I saw the Mini Leatherneck for sale at a relatively good price in my country, so I thought, “Why the hell not?” First off, the handle felt surprisingly great in hand. In a basic hammer grip with the knife perpendicular to my arm, I can wrap four fingers comfortably. For reference, I have a medium to large sized hand. In a more slanted saber grip however, my pinky ends up floating, so that’s where a paracord fob comes in useful. The pinky finger grabs onto the paracord instead.

It is a stable grip and I do feel that the knife locks into place. Even with sweaty hands, I’m not afraid of the knife slipping out of my grip; to Cold Steel’s credit, the Kray-Ex does its job well. However, I wouldn’t call this the ideal knife for long hours of work because the quillons will eventually be a nuisance and regardless of hand size, you will want a roomy comfortable handle in a dedicated work knife. If I had to open boxes for hours on end, I’d sooner reach for the Morakniv Kansbol or Becker BK-16. Or even the SRK.

If you just need a pocket blade for occasionally opening a package or helping a friend open theirs, this is a more than capable tool for that job.

Second, let’s discuss the blade itself. In terms of both aesthetics and function, the clip point was the best fit for me. It’s easier to sharpen and I don’t like having to worry about two edges in the dagger blade’s case. Out of the box, it was decently sharp though not as paper slicing smooth as Cold Steel’s mid-tier folders. I still get clean cuts on white paper though with a slight bit of resistance. Even among budget steels, 8Cr is far from the leader in edge retention, though on the upside, it’s fairly easy to sharpen. If it performs even close to the Spyderco Resilience’s 8Cr, that’s good enough for EDC. At least for me.

The bevels looked even enough from the base to the tip. The blade tip is nice and pointy, perfect for popping balloons and poking fruit. Blade stock is 3 mm, though I would not use this for prying or anything that you should really use a Becker BK2 for. The top quillon gets in the way of resting my thumb on the spine, but I can still rest my pointer finger on the swedge for more precise cuts.

Third, the sheath. I haven’t deliberately tested if Secure-Ex dulls the edge, but when unsheathing, I just put more pressure against the spine to minimize contact with the edge. Seems to work just fine for now. The sheath comes with lashing holes so we do have some belt mounting options. The knife locks in with an audible click and no rattle once sheathed. It’s a tad more difficult to unsheathe than I would like, but I suppose that’s better than too loose. For my purposes, this knife will be riding in the pocket.

Niche or philosophy of use

I see this as a backup fixed blade that you can throw in the pocket, backpack compartment, or toolbox. I don’t know if it’s true full tang, but it does have the sturdiness of being one piece of steel. I like the Kray-Ex material, ensuring a fairly positive grip even in emergency or hairy situations.

Again, I would not assign it as a dedicated work knife, but it’s a nice fixed blade EDC to include in the rotation.

Concluding thoughts and rating

In summary, the build quality is good for the asking price. I don’t see anything majorly off with the grind lines, the cross guard does not wiggle one bit, and the short handle was more comfortable than expected. If I had to make minor revisions, I’d add half an inch to the handle length and decrease the size of the crossguard a bit. As a general point, Cold Steel ditching Secure-Ex in favor of Kydex would be nice, but that’s probably a pipe dream.

For knives in similar price brackets and size, I still prefer the Mora Eldris and CRKT Siwi for their superior ergonomics, but the Mini Leatherneck holds its own as a pocket fixed blade EDC.

4/5 stars.

Thank you for your review! I had not seen good in hand photos until now, I think I'm going to pass on buying one because of the short handle, I could probably grind the double guard down but the handle being too short will be a deal breaker. Thanks again!

Great review…I will probably pick up the Dagger version. I like the small but functional size. Would’ve liked a slightly longer handle, but not a deal breaker.

Thank you for your review! I had not seen good in hand photos until now, I think I'm going to pass on buying one because of the short handle, I could probably grind the double guard down but the handle being too short will be a deal breaker. Thanks again!
Thanks! There are a few showcase vids on YouTube, but I wish they covered the ergos a bit more. To elaborate a bit, I actually like the width of this Mini more than the Kobun. But yes, the handle is indeed short. Forget the icepick reverse grip because the crossguard will dig into the bottom of your palm.

In sum though, I wouldn’t feel underknifed for the day if this was all I had.

Very minor update: I sharpened it on the humble Lansky V crock sticks and the knife cuts much better now. Much like accuracy in an automatic watch, sharpness is a pretty huge factor in my enjoyment of cutlery. The out of the box sharpness of my Mini Leatherneck was sort of serviceable, but it wasn’t as sharp as my Code 4 or Recon 1 outta the box. 20 degrees per side on the Lansky worked just fine.

My sharpening technique is far from perfect, but the edge ‘sings’ better now. Slices paper much cleaner compared to before. I’ll observe how well the 8Cr retains that edge. This Mini is a nice knife platform and I do wish we got it in better steels. 14C28N or even Aus10a would have been great.

Thanks for the update. A constant theme on this forum is a cry for better steel. There are so many great, proven and low cost steels. I think most would be very happy to pay a buck more for even old stand-bys like 440C, AUS-8/10, or the Sandviks. I would LOVE to have some CS designs in 14c28n. Its a really impressive steel and very tough. Can you imagine a non concave SRK in 14c28n?!? That would be an awesome blade! And folks would pay a premium for it. I sure would!

But, GSM doesn't care. Some of these Chinese steels seem good, when done well, but they're only done well when watched very closely. I believe LT watched everything closely, GSM won't. In addition, there's the political aspect and it's very important for many people to use their money to support countries they respect. A business shouldn't overlook that fact.

Last edited:
It's unavoidable to buy certain things made in China, but I won't buy a blade made there. Unless it's for a utility knife/box cutter. It's very difficult these days, but I try to avoid supporting the CCP whenever possible.

It's unavoidable to buy certain things made in China, but I won't buy a blade made there. Unless it's for a utility knife/box cutter. It's very difficult these days, but I try to avoid supporting the CCP whenever possible.
Perfectly understandable viewpoint, dude. I’m buying it from a local online seller in my country, so I think the support mostly goes to my country rather than the CCP. At least, I hope that’s the way it works. I could be mistaken.

Thanks for the update. A constant theme on this forum is a cry for better steel. There are so many great, proven and low cost steels. I think most would be very happy to pay a buck more for even old stand-bys like 440C, AUS-8/10, or the Sandviks. I would LOVE to have some CS designs in 14c28n. Its a really impressive steel and very tough. Can you imagine a non concave SRK in 14c28n?!? That would be an awesome blade! And folks would pay a premium for it. I sure would!

But, GSM doesn't care. Some of these Chinese steels seem good, when done well, but they're only done well when watched very closely. I believe LT watched everything closely, GSM won't. In addition, there's the political aspect and it's very important for many people to use their money to support countries they respect. A business shouldn't overlook that fact.
Unfortunately, it feels like CS is going the way of CRKT. Interesting designs, underwhelming steel. I wish this Mini had Aus10 and Taiwanese manufacturing.

For light EDC work though, I like the Mini Leatherneck. Like it more now compared to day 1 of purchase, lol.

Back