Confusing balisong terms

Originally posted by Mykl Clark
Uh oh now IX is catching on to the greatest secrets of the Cult of the Balisong someone has to stop him.
Ya'd hav' ta catch me foist, ya bastid! :p :D

actually we can just use your addiction against you. Lure you into a trap with a free bali.

Damn! You found my weak spot. Most likely, you'll have me right where you want in no-time. ;)

I watched a lot of Bond this past weekend so I'm on this "I'll tell you everything about my operation and you can't stop me" kick.

Yes, Bond is really mean that way... ;)

One other thing I've been thinking of... This tang protuberance/zen pin design... Will it work just as good on larger balis? Or would it become weaker? (I have no idea, I'm just asking the experts. :D)

It would be my belief that the tang-thingy (we really need a name for that) will work just as well on a 4" as a 3". Large handles and blades would add more impact force to the "pins" and protudence but probably not a lot and you could always slightly increase the size of pin and "protrudence" (therefore increasing surface area of impact therefore decreasing pressure). I'm sure Tony will come in here and straighten me out if I'm wrong.

I got this of page 2 of the "No more balisongs" thread on the new BM balisong forum:

Protos/concept knives:
3" bolted bali w/ magnetic lock

They would get to name it because it's their design.

Originally posted by ixpfah
But what about that 'tang protuberance'? It's not a pin, therefore I don't like the 'zen pin' idea... Even if it means 'no pin'. Suggestions?
Those protusion work in conjunction with those pins, so the pins stay in the picture. I'm working out if those protrusions really need to be protrusions at all. Something tells me that they can be better designed.
Why would it all of a sudden need a kick? Couldn't you just make those 'kick hollows' (where the kick pins falls, to stop the blade from hitting the handle) less hollow?
Yes you can. But it all depends on where you place those pins.
Isn't it possible to use the tang to strike?
My guess would be that the iron blades are more expensive to replace than the brass U-channel handles. So if you had to use it as an impact too, you risk the part least expensive to replace. Damage the tang, and the bali is totally broken. Damage the handles and put in the next set. My $0.02.

I'm sure Tony will come in here and straighten me out if I'm wrong.
Guess what? I don't have too. Sounds about right to me. (Although I think you guys are thinking way too highly of me ;) ).

The only difference is that with the old style tang pins the force is exerted near the bali's center of gravity so the force is almost totally dispersed against the tang pin. The new style moves it out, and impacts away from the bali's center of gravity. What difference does that make? I have no idea. Need to get access on that prototype to conduct tests.... :confused:

Originally posted by tonyccw
Need to get access on that prototype to conduct tests.... :confused:

hehe yeah me too ;)

Actually if you think of the blade as a lever (which it is) it makes since that the further you move the tang device from the pivot (fulcrum) and the longer the blade your force will go up, right?

Actually if you think of the blade as a lever (which it is) it makes since that the further you move the tang device from the pivot (fulcrum) and the longer the blade your force will go up, right?
Yes and no... Yes because you now have a wider points of fulcrum than before, so the force necessary to exert on the tang is less than before (that's what I'm reading from your post), because the firtherr you are from the initial fulcrum, the more leverage you have to exert the force (think old-fashion weighing devices where the weight is measured with a small counterweight sliding up and down the handle). If you were applying constant force, as if when you open the handles manually, this will always be true.

No, because the amount of force is not constant. The inertia of the swinging handles will be absorbed by energy transfer when the handle hits the tang, so it decreases exponetially. So, because the force isn't constant, the wider the points from fulcrum, the faster that engergy is used up. Which should mean that those handles will require a bit more effort to swing.... (Dammit, I really need to find out. All this is sepculation is driving me crazy... Arghhhhh!!).

thanks tony
No problem. Just let's leave these types of questions alone for a while, can we? My brain's starting to hurt from all the computations... :D

sorry man been out of work for a while and starting to miss the technical stuff.

Back