Convex vs Flat grind?

...One of the main problems I've had is trying to conceptualize how a convex angle is measured. I never understood how a somewhat curved surface could be thought of, and measured, as an angle. Where on the curve is the "angle" supposed to be?

I think another problem in my understanding, which you mentioned in both posts 6 and 12, is regarding "equal edge angle". Often the diagrams and drawings of flat and convex edges do not appear to be scaled the same, with the convex appearing thicker.

I relief grind at a very low angle, as taught by John Juranitch, so there is little or no shoulder on or near my knife edges, except for a small low angle microbevel. This being so, maybe my thin flat edges and thin convex edges are so similar that there is little or no real-world difference in how they actually perform.

What helped me to understand convexity better was when I read that, since it's impossible to repeatedly hold the exact same angle when freehand sharpening, some convexity will naturally occur. You described a similar process, with a similar result, very well and clearly in your second paragraph.

After reading your explanation, I re-read this quotation with much more understanding than the first time. This one sentence pretty much says it all, if I understand it correctly, and I think I do now. :)

Yeah, it's technically possible to measure the angle of the intersection of two arcs, but it requires mathematically modeling those arcs first, which is kind of a pain in the butt, making it impractical for all but theoretical purposes in this context.

From a practical perspective, you can use a hard material (that's softer than steel) such as plexiglass, to find the effective angle by laying the blade flat on the surface of the material, and slowly tilting the spine up until a forward push on the blade causes it to bite. The reason to use a hard material as the test medium is to reduce how much the material will deflect under pressure (which should be kept light in any case with this test) so you get a closer result to the actual edge angle. Since an edge will only bite at any angle greater than the bevel angle, you can find the angle by approximating just the tiniest bit under the angle at which the edge will actually bite.
It doesn't require mathematical modelling at all. The way in which we calculate the edge angle - and you can call it "effective" or any other term you choose - is as follows: Choose a measured distance behind the apex along the bevel (W) and measure (pinch-micrometer), and also measure the thickness of the bevel at that distance, then do basic trig:

Effective%2BEdge%2BAngle.png

The theoretical angle of intersection between two mathematically modeled curves (that do not exist in reality) is defined as the angle of intersection of the tangents of each curve applicable at only that single point of intersection which bears no relation to a knife bevel whatsoever, which is one reason why it isn't actually done (and FortyTwo is correct that it is also physically impossible since we do not measure curved lines, only straight ones). The fact is, even the math to attain the tangent of a curve is based on taking the secant lines from beneath the convex curve to smaller and small lengths (to a limit). The angle of the convex bevel is defined by the angle of smallest measurable secant lines beneath that curve (W above). In other words, the angle of a convex edge is derived from the angle of the corresponding FLAT grind beneath it, which is necessarily that little bit thinner. That is the angle of your convex edge.

Besides that, FortyTwoBlades' recommendation of just using the edge and seeing what angle it cuts like is perfect :thumbsup: If it seems to be cutting at too high of an angle, you may have rounded the edge over or have a burr bent the other way, while if it seems to cut at too shallow of an angle then you may have a burr bent toward the medium being cut.

Here is an image of how CATRA measures edge-angle if you can take a cross-section of the edge, which you won't do, hence my recommendation to measure the bevel width (you can also find examples of this described in patents filed by companies such as Gillette for their razor blades). Another great resource for stuff like this is the blog https://scienceofsharp.com/ - amazing sets of blade apex SEM :thumbsup::thumbsup:
BEPM-multi.jpg

If held relative to the target plane at any angle equal to or less than the edge angle at the apex, the edge will be either running parallel to or away from the target material, and the knife will fail to cut. So the edge angle right at the apex does completely and totally matter and applies to knife bevels in a wholly practical sense. The reason why straight-line calculations are commonly used isn't because they're actually accurate but because they're simple. They permit a shorthand approximation only, and that's good enough for the processes they're being measured for, but as you noted they will give a calculated nominal angle that is lower than actual, and if held at that angle relative to a target material, it will not cut it unless there's sufficient deflection. Materials do deflect under pressure, which can cause them to flex until they are presenting themselves to the upturned edge in a way that it can be cut, but then the actual angle of presentation of the material relative to the edge is still holding to that relationship. That's why I say that you can find the effective angle of knife by tilting it upward until it bites: it's not the real angle, it's just the angle at which the knife is effective but the actual edge angle is a little higher or lower than that, depending on how much deflection is occurring with the target medium. So no, the straight line measure is not the same thing as the effective angle.

It's possible to calculate the equation of a bezier curve, so in theory someone could make a program that would allow you use a bezier line drawing utility to trace the arc of a blade viewed in cross section and have it spit out the resulting angle of intersection. A difficulty that does arise is that, of course, if you look at any edge under a powerful enough microscope, the edge is totally rounded over. The diameter of the semicircle created by the edge is essentially what we feel as sharpness under most circumstances, and the smaller that diameter is the sharper the knife feels in use. Because of this, if you were trying to take that factor into account, the edge angle would have to be calculated with the diameter of the apex deleted, since it's when you tilt the blade above the angle at which the bevel is connecting to that rounded apex portion of the edge that it would start biting (presuming that the knife is sufficiently sharp enough to cut, of course.) But if you're not looking at it at quite that scale then you can ignore it for the sake of simplicity. It would also be possible to calculate a curve if you were to convert thickness measurements to Cartesian coordinates and recorded data for 3 or more points along the curve. Similarly, another practical method you can use is a digital protractor. The apex won't touch the internal corner of the protractor if you're at any angle narrower than the edge angle (though the matter of scale comes in again since the true apex angle is always dead flat. :p )

Ultimately, there are ways to accurately measure these things, and it's not even very complicated compared to some of the things that some scientists and engineers have to contend with on a daily basis. But in practical terms for folks like us there are a few simple applied techniques that can be used to give an estimation of the angle that's good enough for the reasons we might need to actually know that information. The straight line method is just always going to tell you that it's a thinner angle than it really is, so unless you're just using it for comparative data purposes it's not an especially useful way to measure it. A protractor or the "lift until it bites" approach will yield more useful info.

If held relative to the target plane at any angle equal to or less than the edge angle at the apex, the edge will be either running parallel to or away from the target material, and the knife will fail to cut. So the edge angle right at the apex does completely and totally matter and applies to knife bevels in a wholly practical sense. The reason why straight-line calculations are commonly used isn't because they're actually accurate but because they're simple. They permit a shorthand approximation only, and that's good enough for the processes they're being measured for, but as you noted they will give a calculated nominal angle that is lower than actual, and if held at that angle relative to a target material, it will not cut it unless there's sufficient deflection.
No.
The reason why straight line measurements are actually used is because we can only measure in straight lines. That is why PI is infinite and non-repeating - it is the ratio between the circumference of a circle (curved) and its diameter (straight). Measurements of curvature are only calculations and are never accurate beyond what the straight-line measurements allow. That isn't "shorthand", it's "real hand". You could make up a function to describe a curve and pretend that represents reality, and then integrate to find a tangent, but that is all imaginary and again the "tangent" angle is only applicable at a single dimensionless point. Please note, that point is NOT "edge angle right at the apex", the angle at the apex is always flat blunt which is why apex area isn't measured in angles but is given as diameter. If you realize that every apex ends in a blunt area of some thickness, it helps to clarify how ridiculous the idea of using such an angle is, if you didn't already realize it from the sheer in-applicability of a tangent-angle to anything behind a single dimensionless point. That's just the reality, the secant lines define the angle. So if you want to know the angle of your convex bevel, just measure the most appropriate secant geometry, which is something that can be done with accuracy and is what is actually done by those with the tools to achieve a high level of precision in such measurements.
Materials do deflect under pressure, which can cause them to flex until they are presenting themselves to the upturned edge in a way that it can be cut, but then the actual angle of presentation of the material relative to the edge is still holding to that relationship. That's why I say that you can find the effective angle of knife by tilting it upward until it bites: it's not the real angle, it's just the angle at which the knife is effective but the actual edge angle is a little higher or lower than that, depending on how much deflection is occurring with the target medium. So no, the straight line measure is not the same thing as the effective angle
The "effective angle" you are describing is usually >15' up from the surface of the object being cut into, allowing for substantial clearance on the underside of the blade bevel for making an effective cut (the "relief angle"). So your "effective angle" as described isn't really related to the bevel angle at all... I am fine with that.
The 'effective angle' I am describing is that of the bevel itself, not the angle at which you make the cut, and I am happy to drop the term 'effective' with regard to it.
It's possible to calculate the equation of a bezier curve, so in theory someone could make a program that would allow you use a bezier line drawing utility to trace the arc of a blade viewed in cross section and have it spit out the resulting angle of intersection. A difficulty that does arise is that, of course, if you look at any edge under a powerful enough microscope, the edge is totally rounded over. The diameter of the semicircle created by the edge is essentially what we feel as sharpness under most circumstances, and the smaller that diameter is the sharper the knife feels in use. Because of this, if you were trying to take that factor into account, the edge angle would have to be calculated with the diameter of the apex deleted, since it's when you tilt the blade above the angle at which the bevel is connecting to that rounded apex portion of the edge that it would start biting (presuming that the knife is sufficiently sharp enough to cut, of course.) But if you're not looking at it at quite that scale then you can ignore it for the sake of simplicity. It would also be possible to calculate a curve if you were to convert thickness measurements to Cartesian coordinates and recorded data for 3 or more points along the curve. Similarly, another practical method you can use is a digital protractor. The apex won't touch the internal corner of the protractor if you're at any angle narrower than the edge angle (though the matter of scale comes in again since the true apex angle is always dead flat. :p )

Ultimately, there are ways to accurately measure these things, and it's not even very complicated compared to some of the things that some scientists and engineers have to contend with on a daily basis. But in practical terms for folks like us there are a few simple applied techniques that can be used to give an estimation of the angle that's good enough for the reasons we might need to actually know that information. The straight line method is just always going to tell you that it's a thinner angle than it really is, so unless you're just using it for comparative data purposes it's not an especially useful way to measure it. A protractor or the "lift until it bites" approach will yield more useful info.
Oh good, you mentioned the rounded-over edge :thumbsup: Yeah, the nonsense about knowing the curve from only 3 points is just that, nonsense, and the rest about creating a program to calculate (using an approximation of PI) the curvature in order to integrate a tangent applicable to a single point that isn't even part of a bevel and ignores the entire reality of the apex geometry... yeah, there is a reason it isn't done by any engineer. As made clear above, the scientists and engineers dealing with this use minute straight-line measurements of thickness at different distances back from the apex just as they do with apex diameter. That is the only practical (as opposed to virtual) method. It creates your cartesian points for imagining a virtual curve of the geometry, but that is unnecessary. Look at the CATRA image. If you want me to again post the wording from the patents, I will do so.

The reason that a straight-line measurement is always thinner than convex curvature is definition - to be a convex curve, there must always be a point on the curve above the line applicable to that curve. If you where to draw a line to connect that outer point to one of the previous points, there would still always be a point on the curve above THAT line because the curve is "convex". As you go finer and finer with your measurements of the line between the points (as you can with SEM), you eliminate more and more of the edge-bevel to which you were trying to apply the angle-measurement in the first place, making the angle less and less relevant since angle is simply the measurement of space between lines/planes. Regardless of how fine you want to be with your measurements, the angle of your convex bevel will always be described by the secant line to which it is convex. The angle at the point of intersection of two theoretical curves is defined by the angle between the tangents of each curve at that point and applicable only at the single dimensionless point and neither can or should be applied to anything beyond it, like a bevel or, y'know, space of any kind. There is no thickness, no material, to which that angle applies, it is not real. But since reality would require you to "delete" that point on the apex anyway "for simplicity", it should be readily apparent that what you REALLY did was take the angle of intersection between the secant lines (reaching points behind the apex and meeting at the apex). And it is good that you did that, because that is exactly what I described in my previous post :)

But I agree that tilting the knife until it bites or approaching the medium at the angle you desire and seeing IF it bites gives you the me important information, i.e. is the blade cutting how I want it to. If it isn't, you need either a keener apex or a thinner edge (area behind the apex).

The sort of math I'm talking about is done all the time, and your perpetual disregard of that severely undermines how seriously I feel I can take your remarks. I'll see myself out now.

The sort of math I'm talking about is done all the time, and your perpetual disregard of that severely undermines how seriously I feel I can take your remarks. I'll see myself out now.
If you mean that curvature is theorized using mathematical models based on limited data in order to create a theoretical model on computer software, absolutely it is done all the time. I don't disregard that at all.

But for measuring the angle of a convex edge, it is done "all the time" exactly as I have described, and you yourself even described it as
...the edge angle would have to be calculated with the diameter of the apex deleted...
With no apex, what angle are you measuring? The one created by the bevels leading up to it.
I don't ignore the math, I present the reality of how it is actually done and why, not theories of how it might be done but isn't. The CATRA image has already been presented, as has the link to ToddS' blog with the most detailed SEM images of knife-edges in existence, but here is one of his images - he just takes a couple of secants (ignoring the apex) and lets the software spit out an angle:
cho_1k_x_measured.jpg

Here is text from a Gillette patent: https://patents.google.com/patent/AU784251B2/en?q=B26B21/60
...an ultimate edge sharpened to a tip radius of less than 1,000 angstroms, preferably 200 to 300 angstroms, and has a profile with side facets at an included angle of between 15 and 30 degrees, preferably about 19 degrees, measured at 40 microns from the tip...
Gillette is using an angle measurement taken from apex to 40um back and isn't all that concerned about how precise that angle is at the level of magnification.

Here is their description of a convex coated blade: https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2013010049A1
... a cutting edge being defined by a blade tip having a tip radius of from 500 to 1500 angstroms. The coated blade has a thickness of between 0.3 and 0.5 micrometers measured at a distance of 0.25 micrometers from the blade tip, a thickness of between 0.4 and 0.65 micrometers measured at a distance of 0.5 micrometers from the blade tip, a thickness of between 0.61 and 0.71 micrometers measured at a distance of 1 micrometer from the blade tip, a thickness of between 0.96 and 1.16 micrometers measured at a distance of 2 micrometers from the blade tip, and a thickness of between 1.56 and 1.91 micrometers measured at a distance of four micrometers from the blade tip. Preferably, the coated blade has a thickness of between 2.66 and 3.16 micrometers measured at a distance of 8 micrometers from the blade tip, and a thickness of between 4.06 and 5.06 micrometers measured at a distance of 16 micrometers from the blade tip...
Gillette could have plugged those measurements into software and spat out some facet angles or an equation for the curves that assumes the behavior between the measured points and then integrated the tangent, etc. and reported THAT information, but they weren't generating a theoretical curve, they were grinding bevels. Like the CATRA image in my previous post, they give thickness at a distance back from the apex and that is sufficient to give an angle should one desire it.

Do you really need more information to take this seriously? Which part isn't believable? The in-applicability of tangents to edge bevels, the virtual nature of computer modeling, or the lack of its use in analyzing edge geometry at high magnification?

Back