Couple new acquisitions!!

Recently picked up a couple first gens. The 5 is really MY knife. I think I'll hold onto it for a while.

0aHXdTy.jpg

opupPWp.jpg

Weird thing is, the 5 makes shavings and curls really well and I didn't see that coming. The 10? Well let's just say I don't chop with knives..... Now I do. Nothing is safe!

The only thing I'm not 100% on are the color of the scales. Obviously brown is ok for these users but I'd really like some red linen or even black. The first ten handles are really tough to find and it seems like there aren't a ton of 5's.

Btw if anyone wants to get rid of their 5 let me know, I could use a spare.

Last edited:
I've never had my hands on a 5 but if it's as similar to the 4.7 as it looks

The first ten handles are really tough to find....

I believe there are brown canvas and green canvas available. I've seen some that have been RIT dyed black that looked good. Might be worth a try, they're only going to get tougher to find IMO.

I agree. I've got a lot of big knives, but nothing quite like the 10. I didn't think I'd care for it based on how it looks, but was happily proven wrong in use. Great knife.

jyUl5rV.jpg

J1kBPxU.jpg

How do you find the indexing on the 10? That handle is the one thing that has kept me from going after a few on the exchange.

How do you find the indexing on the 10? That handle is the one thing that has kept me from going after a few on the exchange.

I can't say I understand what you mean by indexing. I'd use the 10 for almost any task. Only the finest task would require a smaller tool. I'm a little different than most people,though. I really like the handle. I never give a thought about "hot spots" because I'll never use a knife for hours. I have pretty big hands and the handles are great for me.

I chopped a tree down in two swings without even thinking about the grip. The choil lets you choke up for feathersticks or anything that requires more accuracy.

L LukeTheSpook what a pair! The 5 was my first love in the GSO line for a lot of reasons. I love the size and dimensions. I've gotten a lot of work done and had a lot of fun with my 5. You have good taste!

I really would like to find a a killer deal on an old spec 10 some day. I've heard a lot of good things about it's performance and I think the blade profile is super sexy. I've seen the results after a lot of chopping with it and I've also seen pics from some crazy mofos who made some very impressive try sticks and even a spoon.

Enjoy your new knives!

After limbing and processing this small live cottonwood
and this once through on a fully curred log
my ungloved hand definitely had some new blisters. The base of the pinky was the worst and lasted the longest, the other two or three weren't as memorable. Probably an hours work between felling, limbing, and processing the standing tree with the cured log at the end just for fun.
I find the first three grooves fit my hand pretty well but the little chin for the pinky is really uncomfortable.

...I find the first three grooves fit my hand pretty well but the little chin for the pinky is really uncomfortable.

Interesting, I actually find the birds beak on the GSO-10 to be less uncomfortable than on a lot of other knives due to the more gradual slope that doesn't end in a total stop (e.g. Busse Battle Mistress). I also prefer it to the Rodent 9 which has no such beak at all but only widens at the pommel. I should note, however, that I also tend to wear gloves when using it hard as you did in those videos. nice job, btw :thumbsup:

I have used my GSO-10 a LOT since I got it from the first-run years ago and always enjoy using it :) Mine needed a bit of edge-thinning to really perform well, and for a while I wrapped a "ranger band" around the lower part of the handle to provide more traction (I really need to scuff up the micarta some, it has worn smooth), but I actually like the grooves as a means of positioning my index-finger for how I want to use the knife - for close carving I use the choil, light-chopping I use the rear-most groove, and general cutting puts it in the primary index-groove.

The finger grooves aren't for everyone, even I was hesitant to get one when I first saw the design, but they have not been a problem for me and it certainly gives the tool a more distinctive profile. I look forward to trying the new version when it finally comes out... and the 12 :D

Great and interesting info, folks! Thanks for all the weigh-ins! Now to score a GSO 10 and find out for myself! :cool:

Recently picked up a couple first gens. The 5 is really MY knife. I think I'll hold onto it for a while.

The only thing I'm not 100% on are the color of the scales. Obviously brown is ok for these users but I'd really like some red linen or even black. The first ten handles are really tough to find and it seems like there aren't a ton of 5's.

Btw if anyone wants to get rid of their 5 let me know, I could use a spare.
There are quite a few handle colors for the 5 on their site. I'm thinking of the jade.

The trick for the Survive page is to actually add the item to your cart before you declare that it is available.
Unless the button lights up and you can add it to the cart it isn't really there.

Back