"Cowboy" canvas bed roll? Good, better, best?

Big Sky single layer
Colorado tent with triple top canvas
Davis Tents sleeping bag cover
Davis Tents triple top layer bed roll

I am looking for a "Cowboy-style" bed roll to camp in while surf fishing and similar stuff when I don't want a full tent or have space for my off-road travel trailer. Basically, fast setup, fewer issues with windy setup locations, and something that travels well in my pickup to use when a Hammock isn't an option.

Prices are all over the place and the options included are numerous so, picking one to buy online isn't easy!!! It looks like the first major decision point is whether to get basically a bag or cover, or a large ~17 foot canvas sheet that folds over itself to provide a top layer of 3 layers of canvas for warmth and weather rejection with some snaps down the center.

With a sleeping bag, I tend to think the folded tarp option would be a pain to get into and out of compared to the "bag/cover" option. Then there is the issue of rolling things up with the sleeping pad and bag or blanket inside.
Any reason to get a ~10oz canvas version instead of the ~15oz version? And, what am I missing in one that is ~$140 versus one that is $200+?

TIA,
Sid

Everything you listed is canvas. I thought cowboys used wool. (Wool doesn't lose its ability to trap heat when it gets wet.)

If the canvas is oiled, it'll handle most small showers, if the water is coming up, it's time to move. It's more about how you set up to let it shed rain than anything else.
I use a swag here in australia a bit, the main thing is that you need to dial in your temp range. They are great for starting the night out as it cools off, then throw the cover over before the dew falls, or if a light rain comes in over night.
I mostly use mine in more "winter" conditions (as if the subtropics ever get winter) and keep it with a couple wool blankets fitted in it around the matress as they are also way more comfy in high humdity. I also have a thicker home made quilt made from nylon and some thick apex climashield which is quite a good warm layer down to about freezing. They are a great low profile solution once you get the hang of it. My main use is for times I know I'll be setting up in near or total darkness. roll it out, check the valves in the mat, give it a few mintutes, and by the time I'm changed, it's good for bed. If I want I can tie open a corner, get the bug net held up, or whatever (I live in snake country, that bug net does double duty for me) and If it's really cold, I can use the "lid" as a fire reflector and not worry about spark holes.

Back