Cpm154...

Hi, Tim ! Really love your small dawg and saving up for one! Any particular reason why you chose CPM154 over other steels like the popular S30V? Just my own curioisity.

Al,

I have had really good luck with CPM154 on my custom knives. I think it is a more user friendly steel than S30V (Just my opinion).

My impression is that the CPM -154 is a nicely improved version of 154CM. How does it rate relative to s30v?

In my opinion the average user wont tell much difference between the two. S30V holds an edge longer, but I can get CPM154 sharper than S30V and it is much easier for me to get it sharp. Thats just me though. I know there are a lot of highly experienced knife users out there that are good sharpeners, but I think the majority of people are not as skilled.

Therefore I think CPM154 has a good overall balance of edge holding, toughness, ability to take a keen edge and the ease of doing so.

I was lucky enough to see one of those in flight, coming in for a landing at Mira Mar for an Air Show. It's a very strange sight overhead making a slow turn towards the runway. Just happened to be walking between buildings at work one day and heard the engines.

Thats for sure. Wonder how hard it is to get a civilian ride in one of those...

The Air Force retired them sometime back in the 90s.
Good luck on that. Most of them are either gate guards
or in aerospace museums.

I lived in Palmdale CA for 26 years. They were a fairly regular
for many of those years. You could park on the corner of Sierra
Highway and Avenue N, they would fly low right over you on takeoff
or landing, depending on wind direction. Really cool site and sound.

I worked on its little brothers for a lot of years, the U-2 / TR-1.

Just out of curiosity, how hard are you heat treating your CPM154 blades (on the Rockwell C scale)?

Thanks!

- Jim

On Tim's site for the "Pro Series" he notes 61-62 RC for the Dawgs.

In my opinion the average user wont tell much difference between the two. S30V holds an edge longer, but I can get CPM154 sharper than S30V and it is much easier for me to get it sharp. Thats just me though. I know there are a lot of highly experienced knife users out there that are good sharpeners, but I think the majority of people are not as skilled.

Therefore I think CPM154 has a good overall balance of edge holding, toughness, ability to take a keen edge and the ease of doing so.

Average user, majority of people will not buy $400 knife, most likely. And I can get any steel hair whittling sharp - it is pretty easy and anyone can learn how to do this. If it can not be Japanese ZDP189 why not some premium US steel - CPM M4, CPM S110V, 52100?

Really, this is top line knives and should have top line steel. I know Buck have some $500 with 420HC, but this is just wasting good effort to me.

Everything should be perfect... And with titanium scales and hot design it just must be better then CPM 154 (even it is a good steel).

Honestly - this is only thing which stop me buying your beautiful creation.

Thanks, Vassili.

Vassili,

Im sorry that I do not offer the Pro Series JYD in a steel other than CPM154. Right now as a one man show, and a one man wallet it would be too costly for me to offer multiple steels. I chose CPM154 because I like it, and I thought it would suit most every one. When thinking about pleasing everyone, (Which is hard to do) I had to pick a steel that is well balanced in all aspects. Take a look at the Lahar Wish List thread and look at the Poll on steel types, the "something else" option only netted 4 votes and CPM154 20 votes.

With all that being said, someday I will be able to offer more variety and hopefully in a flavor you like :)

Tim,
I fully support your decision to keep the cost of this fine knife within reason by not offering a lot of options and trust you will continue in this regard with future Pro Series editions. Further, I appreciate your steel choice, have used the knife, sharpened it and register absolutely no complaints on any score. Once I do a bit of research on the makers and like what I find, I tend to trust their judgment in terms of steel. This allows me to maintain my basic laziness by not aspiring to be any sort of steel expert past what a number of years have taught me as a casual knife user. Part of the reason I'm willing to pay the amount for a knife like you're offering is I'm also paying for the makers expertise.

I think it would be a good thing to one day have a "blind test" where various people use the same style of knife, each made with a different steel, for a specific period of time without knowing what type of steel they're using and then give their thoughts. But then, on a semi-related matter, my dream is to one day hold a blind champagne tasting to see if the majority of people with distinct stated preferences can tell the Doms from the Moets from the Iron Horses from the Korbels, all in good fun of course. :)
Cheers,
Steve

Well with everything being said I own the JYD Pro Series large and can tell you personally this knife is worth every penny. The fit and finish is top notch for a production knife possibly surpassing my Sebenza, Sng and Hinderer which speaks volumes to me anyway. For a work knife the ergo's and blade design would be hard to surpass which is why I use this knife everyday. This thing truly is a pleasure to use. I am a S30V blade steel man and have been for some time but after I hit a cable at work cutting a rope it sure is nice to be able to whip the edge back in shape so quickly so I definately appreciate the CPM 154 steel. All I can say is put one in your hands and I'm sure you will understand the craftsmanship and attention that went into these knives. Keep it up Tim, I have better things to do with my time (2 kids) than spend an hour trying to put an edge back on my super steel.

Les

Average user, majority of people will not buy $400 knife, most likely. And I can get any steel hair whittling sharp - it is pretty easy and anyone can learn how to do this. If it can not be Japanese ZDP189 why not some premium US steel - CPM M4, CPM S110V, 52100?

Really, this is top line knives and should have top line steel. I know Buck have some $500 with 420HC, but this is just wasting good effort to me.

Everything should be perfect... And with titanium scales and hot design it just must be better then CPM 154 (even it is a good steel).

Honestly - this is only thing which stop me buying your beautiful creation.

Thanks, Vassili.

I prefer CPM154 , who want's a $400.00 knife with a rusty blade. Larry

Seriously though, 154CM is a stable in the custom folder world. Look at Ernie Emerson, who's knives are selling for thousands of dollars but they use 154CM.

154CM is a great steel and great for this knife. The fact that Tim uses CPM154 is just a nice bonus.

By the way, I am loving my (secondhand) Small Junkyard Dawg. Easily a 10/10, and really, $300 is a steal (can't believe I'm saying that).

Back