damascus pattern !!!!

I believe firecracker is a mosaic pattern. I have never made it by that name. Mine looked more like flowers. Do you have a hydraulic press? Welcome to Blade Forums. Bruce B

hello, I haven't hydraulic press in my workshop(you can see it!!!www.multimania.com /kukri)
just a small power Hammer !!!
it's very difficult to find a press or ...very expensive!

Fabien, welcome to bladeforums!
Your web site is outstanding!! Besides all the great pictures, I like the way it's set up which makes it easy to explore. Your knives look very nice! I especilly like the one titled 1er Damas, very nice!

------------------
Take care!! Michael
jesus.jpg

Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!
http://www.nebsnow.com/L6steel
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms!!!

Laminate about 10 layers and draw it out until it is square. Keep it square as you draw it out until it is about 1"x1" but about 16" long. Next deform the straight laminated pattern by forging the corners in the squaring dies. Keep forging the corners until the billet is square again 1"x1". Now cut the 16" bar into 4 equal sized bars. Grind the ends smooth and acid etch them to see the new pattern. Stack them together and look at the end view of all 4. They should look like the pattern or a variation of it. weld the 4 together and draw out the billet again until it is 1"x1" x 16" and again cut it into 4 equal peices. Clean and etch the ends and restack and weld again. Each time you do this the pattern is smaller and 4 times as plentiful. Stop when you are happy with the number and size of the pattern. Next the billet will need to be wedge cut and opened up and flattened to reveal the inner patterns. Keep in mind that you waste alot of steel because of all the cutting. It will take several hours for a single blade and bolsters. The aggrevating part is the practice practice practice. You end up with some strange looking steel before it starts looking ok. Hope I explained this ok. Bruce B

Heres an easy one
Take a 10 layer .03 nickel and .125 1084 billet. Weld it , forge on edge to about 1 inch thick, cut in five . Cut it in five pieces , restack and weld to about 1 inch thick. Then fold (form it with a 90 die on bottom and a wedge die on top) it long ways without cutting it into a 90. This will make the part that in the middle look wedged. Then cut it up into 4 inch long pieces. Get a tube, place the pieces with the points touching. Fill with 1084 powder. Cap it and weld.
W it after that, unfold .. NICE! Or twist it first then unfold.
If you want can use 302 and 1084 instead of the nickle.

------------------
Web Site At www.darrelralph.com
MADD MAXX !

[This message has been edited by Darrel Ralph (edited 04-12-2001).]

Darrel, Bruce
You guys are making it very hard on me. My machinest has been on holidays for the last two weeks and progress on the hydralic press has ground to a standstill.
Thanks for the Ideas. I had this one figured out the way Bruce does it.
You guys wouldn't want to post some billet scematics or close up pictures of any other of the standard mosaic paturns would you??
I can get powder steel products as required from my machinest friend and I'm trying to figure out how to put a patturn into mosaic without having side by side mirror images. Short of sanmi(sp) is there a way for it to be done.

------------------
Robert
Flat Land Knife Works
rdblad@telusplanet.net
http://members.tripod.com/knifeworks/index.html

I had a wild damascus dream the other night. I will call it postage stamp damascus. It will have some flowers and leaves and a few presidents heads. Maybe tonight I will figure out how to put Elvis on one of the squares. Bruce B

Robert
Simple
Make several different billets
Stack them
Then W pattern them
HAHAH If you have enough it will be differnt looks through the whole blade

------------------
Web Site At www.darrelralph.com
MADD MAXX !

Chapavere,
I don't make damascus on my own, yet. I have heard others using colored clays to give you an idea of what your result will be.
Helpfully, (?) Lynn

Back