Details on Mystery “Cloud Steel”?

Hi everybody, long time reader, first time poster. Sure have learned a lot from the threads and forums you have all created here. Really cool. Also sparked my latest question as I’m now very curious for any info on this steel and manufacturer…

My wife and I were gifted a traditional Japanese chefs knife from a friend. He bought it in Japan on a trip a few months before our wedding (long time ago now). He described the steel as “Cloud Steel” and the roughly finished portion of the blade resembles a pillowy or cloud shaped effect in the finished metal. Not hammered. And not cloudy as in hazy, but actually soft and pillowy in effect.

My google translate also does not bring up the correct manufacturer name written on the nice box it came in.

The steel seems harder than all of my other knives when I have touched up the cutting edge. It seems like what many describe on here as some of the high carbon powder steels out of Japan, but I have no idea or way to confirm details. Hoping someone far more knowledgeable than myself has an idea what this is. Cloud Steel?

I’d also be interested if anyone recognizes the manufacturer on the box as well. I’d love to look into other offerings from them!

I tried to post a photo of the knife and the box, I hope they worked.

Thanks so much for any and all help!

Scott

Hi everybody, long time reader, first time poster. Sure have learned a lot from the threads and forums you have all created here. Really cool. Also sparked my latest question as I’m now very curious for any info on this steel and manufacturer…

My wife and I were gifted a traditional Japanese chefs knife from a friend. He bought it in Japan on a trip a few months before our wedding (long time ago now). He described the steel as “Cloud Steel” and the roughly finished portion of the blade resembles a pillowy or cloud shaped effect in the finished metal. Not hammered. And not cloudy as in hazy, but actually soft and pillowy in effect.

My google translate also does not bring up the correct manufacturer name written on the nice box it came in.

The steel seem harder than all of my other knives when I have touched up the cutting edge. It seems like what many describe on here as some of the high carbon powder steels out of Japan, but I have no idea or way to confirm details. Hoping someone far more knowledgeable than myself has an idea what this is.

I’d also be interested if anyone recognizes the manufacturer on the box as well. I’d love to look into other offerings from them!

I tried to post a photo of the knife and the box, I hope they worked.

Thank so much for any and all help!

Scott
Second photo with the box and name

Looks like a standard hammered finish. Probably a Blue or White steel. I'm sure someone will be along that can translate the box for you.

The box is generic. Says nothing other than
Tokusei 特製 Specially made
Oryourihouchou 御料理包丁 Cooking knife.
As for the brand never seen it before. I assume its a long discontinued maker.
Cloud steel may be meant for Kasumi which translates to misty.

The box is generic. Says nothing other than
Tokusei 特製 Specially made
Oryourihouchou 御料理包丁 Cooking knife.
As for the brand never seen it before. I assume its a long discontinued maker.
Cloud steel may be meant for Kasumi which translates to misty.
Really appreciate this info. Thank you very much for your time.

Back