Double- and False-edged Knives

Choctaw Dan

Platinum Member
From way-back-when I've been fascinated by double-edged knives/daggers and their cousins the false-edged fighting knives. I think it may have started when my father gave me a knife he had fashioned while in the European Theatre during WWII. Let's begin with the one that started it all:

HPIM1357.JPG

While in the European Theater of Operations, 1944-45, my father made this from a crosscut saw blade. (He was a mechanic in an armored field artillery unit, so he occasionally had some time.) The handle is melted-and-poured aluminum. The "jewel" is a piece of toothbrush handle, and there's one on the other side. When he brought it home, it was unsharpened on either side. Before he gave it to me, he sharpened one edge. He was adamant that it remain single-edged, but that's another story.

In the next several pics are presented most -- but not all -- of my collection of double- and false-edged fighting knives.

An accidental newest/oldest pairing. The top knife is one I recently acquired. Made in Japan, with a custom sheath by @wvtracker14 . The bottom knife is a WWII handmade knife with the owner's name, "Justin", stamped into the blade.

20240503_121811_01.jpg

The second pair is interesting. The top knife is difficult to date. It sorta-kinda resembles a Randall Model 2, but several things suggest a Vietnam-era beginning. The second knife is clearly a WWII "theater knife". The blade and sheath are clearly from Sheffield England, but the handle is made up of aluminum, lexan, and other rings. Well done, I think.

20240503_122119-b.jpg

This next pairing is clearly Vietnam-era, and both are from the same manufacturer. They are Valor "boot knives" though the larger could easily be a belt knife. Interestingly, these can be difficult to find in such good condition.

20240503_122205-b.jpg

Here's another "odd couple". The upper knife is clearly a well-made WWII theater knife. My father made one that strongly resembles this knife, but it was stolen from his parents' house, along with several others, when I was about 8. To be quite clear, this is NOT the one he made.

The bottom knife was converted from a USGI M7 bayonet blade. The conversion, and the sheath, were done by a pair of brothers. I have about 5 more of their knifes.

20240503_122424-b.jpg

Now we come to an extremely interesting group. The next four knives either ARE, or were converted to resemble, the venerable M3 fighting knife.

The top one in this picture actually is (or was) an M3 that someone converted into a true double-edged knife. Sorry for the obscuring glare in the pic. It is almost impossible to get a decent picture of the blade.

The bottom one, I think, is more interesting. It was converted from a WWII leather-handled M4 bayonet. Take note that the latching mechanism has been removed and the gaps filled with metal. The modified guard is interesting also.

20240503_122656-c.jpg

In the next pic are another interesting pair. The top one is an M3 converted from an M7 bayonet, simply by replacing the guard and pommel.

The knife in the bottom pic is much more interesting. It was also made from a WWII M4 bayonet. The pommel latching mechanism has been removed, but otherwise the pommel is intact. The guard, on the other hand, was made by cutting the bayonet ring and "curling" it down into an almost-solid bit.

20240503_122656-d.jpg

Now, finally, here's a very sentimental favorite. Any boy who grew up in the late 50's and early 60's will remember ads for this knife in -- every -- danged -- magazine -- that was about, or featured, outdoorsmanship. I never had one, but two of my cousins -- boys about 3 years apart -- did. Every time I'd visit, their knife would be something we'd dig out and play with. It came from Germany and, these days, can be very difficult to find.

20240503_122649-b.jpg
Well, that's it for now. My other double-edged knives are in their respective collections: Gerber, Randall, and what-have-you.

Last edited:
Interesting post and stories but your picture links either point to a Demko AD20 (great knife but not what you were trying to share!) or are broken.

Thank you, David Mary David Mary . He was born in a log cabin, in North-central Mississippi, in 1918. His father was Ulster-Scots (aka Scots-Irish) and his mother was Choctaw. They were poorer than dirt, so he learned how to make almost-anything out of almost-nothing. [BTW, my mother was German-Choctaw.]

My father enlisted in 1939 because there was simply no work available for a young man in north Mississippi.

Last edited:
From way-back-when I've been fascinated by double-edged knives/daggers and their cousins the false-edged fighting knives. I think it may have started when my father gave me a knife he had fashioned while in the European Theatre during WWII. Let's begin with the one that started it all:

View attachment 2564316

While in the European Theater of Operations, 1944-45, my father made this from a crosscut saw blade. (He was a mechanic in an armored field artillery unit, so he occasionally had some time.) The handle is melted-and-poured aluminum. The "jewel" is a piece of toothbrush handle, and there's one on the other side. When he brought it home, it was unsharpened on either side. Before he gave it to me, he sharpened one edge. He was adamant that it remain single-edged, but that's another story.

In the next several pics are presented most -- but not all -- of my collection of double- and false-edged fighting knives.

An accidental newest/oldest pairing. The top knife is one I recently acquired. Made in Japan, with a custom sheath by @wvtracker14 . The bottom knife is a WWII handmade knife with the owner's name, "Justin", stamped into the blade.

View attachment 2564319

The second pair is interesting. The top knife is difficult to date. It sorta-kinda resembles a Randall Model 2, but several things suggest a Vietnam-era beginning. The second knife is clearly a WWII "theater knife". The blade and sheath are clearly from Sheffield England, but the handle is made up of aluminum, lexan, and other rings. Well done, I think.

View attachment 2564320

This next pairing is clearly Vietnam-era, and both are from the same manufacturer. They are Valor "boot knives" though the larger could easily be a belt knife. Interestingly, these can be difficult to find in such good condition.

View attachment 2564329

Here's another "odd couple". The upper knife is clearly a well-made WWII theater knife. My father made one that strongly resembles this knife, but it was stolen from his parents' house, along with several others, when I was about 8. To be quite clear, this is NOT the one he made.

The bottom knife was converted from a USGI M7 bayonet blade. The conversion, and the sheath, were done by a pair of brothers. I have about 5 more of their knifes.

View attachment 2564321

Now we come to an extremely interesting group. The next four knives either ARE, or were converted to resemble, the venerable M3 fighting knife.

The top one in this picture actually is (or was) an M3 that someone converted into a true double-edged knife. Sorry for the obscuring glare in the pic. It is almost impossible to get a decent picture of the blade.

The bottom one, I think, is more interesting. It was converted from a WWII leather-handled M4 bayonet. Take note that the latching mechanism has been removed and the gaps filled with metal. The modified guard is interesting also.

View attachment 2564324

In the next pic are another interesting pair. The top one is an M3 converted from an M7 bayonet, simply by replacing the guard and pommel.

The knife in the bottom pic is much more interesting. It was also made from a WWII M4 bayonet. The pommel latching mechanism has been removed, but otherwise the pommel is intact. The guard, on the other hand, was made by cutting the bayonet ring and "curling" it down into an almost-solid bit.

View attachment 2564325

Now, finally, here's a very sentimental favorite. Any boy who grew up in the late 50's and early 60's will remember ads for this knife in -- every -- danged -- magazine -- that was about, or featured, outdoorsmanship. I never had one, but two of my cousins -- boys about 3 years apart -- did. Every time I'd visit, their knife would be something we'd dig out and play with. It came from Germany and, these days, can be very difficult to find.

View attachment 2564322
Well, that's it for now. My other double-edged knives are in their respective collections: Gerber, Randall, and what-have-you.

Fascinating! I sure enjoy and respect the depth of your choices of interest. Well beyond hobbyist level passion. Hope to be there myself someday.

When can we hear that one? :)

I’ve got the same question 🙋‍♂️
It's really not all that interesting. It had to do with him being overprotective of his 13-year-old son. He was (or said he was) afraid that I'd cut myself on the second edge. Didn't make sense then, but it sorta does make sense now. I mean, I was 13!!!!

The second edge will remain unsharpened as long as the knife remains in my possession. :)

His and hers M42s in Magnacut.
vIeP6vu.jpg

Somehow I missed one picture. Surprising since it's one of my favorites, largely because it's one of the first I acquired as an adult, and because of the tale I imagined it could tell.

This is a WWII-era dagger, made in Italy, in a rough hand-made sheath. The handle is made of alternating brass and (I don't know) rings. My fertile imagination wove the story that an American GI found it in a bomb-damaged building, made the sheath for it, and carried it until V-E Day. Again, this story was made-up in my head.

WWII Italian in rough sheath.jpg

Last edited:
Back