Easiest knives and steels to sharpen without specialized equipment....

I love thin knives and steels that are very easy to touchup and sharpen without some special equipment in couple swipes or by some light stropping.What are your favorite knives that fall in this category? Ps.i just touched up my douk douk on folding dmt in only 4 strokes and is almost hair whittlind sharp...

I think Spy27 is the easiest to touch up out of all PM steels. CruWear and "SAK steel" is also easy.

I love thin knives and steels that are very easy to touchup and sharpen without some special equipment in couple swipes or by some light stropping.

Most knives can be sharpened with diamond plates or diamond bench stones regardless of the steel. I don't consider diamond plates and diamond bench stones to be "special equipment", but it sounds like what you are talking about is soft steel that's easy to sharpen regardless of the type of stones that you have.

Swiss army knives fit the bill pretty nicely. Inexpensive stainless Moras would fall into this category as well, especially because of their scandi grind. I own several of both and I like them a lot.

Pretty much anything that is made with a good quality budget stainless steel will be incredibly easy to sharpen or maintain. These are also the kind of knives that I prefer. You don't need to spend a lot on the knife, and you don't need to spend a lot of money on stones or expensive sharpening rigs either. You can easily get by with only a cheap pocket stone if you have to.

The K.I.S.S. principle applies. "Keep It Simple, Stupid!"

I love thin knives and steels that are very easy to touchup and sharpen without some special equipment in couple swipes or by some light stropping.What are your favorite knives that fall in this category? Ps.i just touched up my douk douk on folding dmt in only 4 strokes and is almost hair whittlind sharp...
Your post is somewhat contradictory - you say you love thin blades that sharpen up easily without specialized equipment, then say you sharpened a fairly thick blade on a diamond stone.

If you’re looking for thin blades that sharpen easily check out Case’s CV. I’m talking bottom of a coffee cup to get a razor blade.

By specialized i meant jig gadgets ,belt sanders etc...folding dmt is pocket field sharpener available to almost anyone,or copies of it.

I love Victorinox steel and their grinds,they simply work,also all sandvik steels are amazing ,with right geometry.Simple carbon steel is also ok.These take 20 seconds to touch up...on something like folding dmt...can also be sharoened on anything easily.

I have always liked the older USA Schrades for exactly this reason.

53438592736_c508d02cc9_b.jpg

I have always liked the older USA Schrades for exactly this reason.

The old USA manufactured Schrades are great. They're easy to find and cheap to buy on the second hand market as well, if you don't mind a little work to fix them up. My favorite old slippy is a once neglected and abused Schrade Imperial stockman that I found and fixed up. I even got creative with a mustard patina on the blades. I also put a cold blue paste on the back of the springs.

In my book Sandvik steels are best for edc...although i love victorinox "mystery" steel....and some variants of 420..with proper heat treat and grind theyre perfect for edc use!SANDVIK performs same as carbon but doesnt stain...prefer it over all supersteel stuff.Traditionals simply have mostly thinner grinds made to cut and easy to sharpen.

Back