Smart-Select-20230113-075712-Instagram.jpg

Smart-Select-20230113-075432-Instagram.jpg

Smart-Select-20230113-075422-Instagram.jpg

Smart-Select-20230113-075444-Instagram.jpg

Smart-Select-20230113-075457-Instagram.jpg

Smart-Select-20230113-075549-Instagram.jpg

Smart-Select-20230113-075513-Instagram.jpg

Smart-Select-20230113-075532-Instagram.jpg

I like them too. Suppose that patent has expired by now, somebody could make another run of them.

Do you have the leather version?

Parker

Dang that’s neat. Thanks for sharing. I’d love one of their camp knives. But yeah, that’s a dream.

Yeah, you need a couple of them camp knives to go with those camp axes. I have never seen those and I too would love to have one or two. Very cool!

That looks like a marvelously functional little tool. I've got an old scout hatchet of a similar design with the pinned on wood scale handles, but it's just a simple hatchet pattern without the extra protuberances. I never found the nail-puller notch on the bottom of the blade to be particularly useful, but that looks like a decent crowbar. What's the purpose of the little spike on the poll?

I’d use it as a demo claw for prying off damaged planking or furring. Although there are other tools good for that, I often run into awkward angles when using a standard crowbar.

It reminds me somewhat of early firefighters’ forcible entry tools.

Parker

I never found the nail-puller notch on the bottom of the blade to be particularly useful, but that looks like a decent crowbar.
That little notch can be useful. When camping I like to bring a few duplex nails for hanging things on trees or securing a line. The little nail notch serves well enough to pull those nails. I even modified a little Fiskars hatchet with a nail notch for a light backpacking tool.

What's the purpose of the little spike on the poll?
FWIW

The advertisement in the original post in this thread states: "The steel hook at back of head is for . . ."

Link to a 1927 Estwing ad here:

Full patent:

Bob

Love those old utilax’s. Really nice pair. Thanks for sharing.

I have a lot of Estwing hammers and hatchets.
It took me a long time to get the knife to match the leather handled hatchets.

view

view

Last edited:
I like the Utilax also. I wonder if they still have the tooling for it somewhere, they'd make an interesting limited/special edition.

I like the Utilax also. I wonder if they still have the tooling for it somewhere, they'd make an interesting limited/special edition.

It would have been perfect for a 100 anniversary celebration. I wonder how much tooling was even involved? I suspect the design with the nail puller being on the handle isn’t up to safety standards today.

Back