European kitchen knives

Good morning. I am looking for recommendations for new kitchen knives. More specifically, I am looking for high quality European knives from smaller artisan firms for everyday use. I have a couple of Le Thiers knives from Goyon Chazeau which are great and want to expand on my collection and replace the Wustof mass produced knives I am using now.

Handmade knives from a bladesmith are outside my budget.

Is there more information I can provide that will help narrow down the search? One last thing... How do I post a picture on here?

What's wrong with your Wusthof knives? I've had my three (original Grand Prix) - 8" Chef, 6" Utility, and 3.5" (?) Paring since new (30+ years now). Not that there aren't dozens upon dozens of choices but forged Wusthof knives can cut about as well as any knife with similar blade geometries. I've never wanted for more (though I have been a little curious about the Japanese chef knives. I would guess, for most of us, when it comes to kitchen knives, one really only needs 3-4 to cover pretty much any imaginable task. Maybe you're more interested in collecting stuff for the thing itself and not necessarily how well it performs tasks or just bragging rights.

The suggestion that handmade knives are out of your price range shouldn't be true, there's are many affordable options from the makers here.

Good morning. I am looking for recommendations for new kitchen knives. More specifically, I am looking for high quality European knives from smaller artisan firms for everyday use. I have a couple of Le Thiers knives from Goyon Chazeau which are great and want to expand on my collection and replace the Wustof mass produced knives I am using now.

Is there more information I can provide that will help narrow down the search? One last thing... How do I post a picture on here?

If you google 'nogent chef knife for sale' you will see links for a great, classic carbon chef knife. Made in France, thin but sturdy and cut like a razor. Here's a pic of mine

-Michael

Has anyone noticed this was another one of those hit and run posts? Two posts in 2.5 years of membership and no response to the one he started here.

Has anyone noticed this was another one of those hit and run posts? Two posts in 2.5 years of membership and no response to the one he started here.
Yeah, I wish it were more rare than it is. Bit rude, unless some misfortune has occurred.

One of the best remaining European artisan suppliers is Robert Herder:

Still maintaining the handmade tradition. Quite different from modern Wusthof and Zwilling.Henkels.

Last edited:
Reactions: ace

Yeah, I wish it were more rare than it is. Bit rude, unless some misfortune has occurred.
I'm sorry for not writing back sooner. I should know better than starting something like this during the chaos of my kid's spring break. Finally catching up on lots of things.

Last edited:
What's wrong with your Wusthof knives? I've had my three (original Grand Prix) - 8" Chef, 6" Utility, and 3.5" (?) Paring since new (30+ years now). Not that there aren't dozens upon dozens of choices but forged Wusthof knives can cut about as well as any knife with similar blade geometries. I've never wanted for more (though I have been a little curious about the Japanese chef knives. I would guess, for most of us, when it comes to kitchen knives, one really only needs 3-4 to cover pretty much any imaginable task. Maybe you're more interested in collecting stuff for the thing itself and not necessarily how well it performs tasks or just bragging rights.
Technically, nothing is really wrong with the Wustof, except that it is a tiny 15cm blade. I would much prefer to have a 20cm blade.

The suggestion that handmade knives are out of your price range shouldn't be true, there's are many affordable options from the makers here
I just haven't had luck finding the right makers then...

One of the best remaining European artisan suppliers is Robert Herder:

Still maintaining the handmade traditioin. Quite different froim modern Wusthof and Zwilling.Henkels.
Thanks. I'll check those out.

I'm sorry for not writing back sooner. I should know better than starting something like this during the chaos of my kid's spring break. Finally catching up on lots of things.
Good on you for following up.

Back