Everyone's latest acquisitions!

I received a box with a few odds and ends in it from my father today, and in it was THIS gem, a mini whittler from 1978.

UN73N5c.jpeg

5XxHIvY.jpeg

YM5RkVl.jpeg

I have the same pair and just ordered new pants for them from SDK. They both compete very well with much more expensive knives. IMO, at least.
I already have SDK scales for the 0640 waiting to be installed. I will certainly be picking up some for the 0393 as well. Plus I really like the oversized disc on my other 0640, so I will be picking up one of those as well!

Three purchases that arrived in my PO Box today. :)

wgt0eqh.png

From top to bottom:

1) Squid Industries - Weehawk Krake Raken AEB-L/Aluminum Alloy Balisong with SI's (proprietary clip/latch) Anchor
2) Hinderer - Nieves S35VN/Ti Balisong
3) Hinderer - X-18 3.5 CPM 20CV/Ti Auto

There are now 20 balisongs & 34 automatics in my collection.

Last edited:
I was hoping this would arrive yesterday, but was delayed until today.

* Adam Purvis Xerx prototype with polished DLC Vanax blade and DLC frame and hardware, and Mars Valley Fat Carbon Fiber. Edit - featuring work by Fanatic Edge too.

Everyone who is serious about him reviving the Xerx pre-order should contact Adam Purvis at apurvisblades on instagram, and if he can get 100 people involved he likely can do these in Vanax or Thor Damasteel, and with anodized Ti or CF scales, in stonewashed, mirror polished, DLC, or polished DLC. It would be much cheaper than a mirror polished DLC Piratech Kraken which Piratech claims will be a 6 month wait.

iIUn5Bk.jpeg

6UIhndw.jpeg

ZJc4FdW.jpeg

fRcAq43.jpeg

4nb6gsR.jpeg

D5OoMlv.jpeg

Video

Last edited:
A couple of cheapies and a David Mary Custom this week. First up is a Leatherman Skeletool KB that I just had to check out. A little smaller than I expected, and frighteningly sharp, especially for its size. Taking a little practice to safely open and close one-handed, but we’re getting there. Nice little knife for packages and light cardboard duty.

IMG-1129.jpg

IMG-1133.jpg

Next up is a Boker Plus Kirke that caught my eye. Bearing flipper with a button lock and a cool looking blade seemed worth checking out, and it’s actually a decent knife. Opening action is a little stiff, but it’s loosening up with use. Really nice size to hold and work with. Nitro V steel is supposed to be comparable with AEB-L, which I’ve had very good luck with, so this one should get some carry time.

IMG-1135.jpg

IMG-1136.jpg

And last but definitely not least is a David Mary EDChef XL. Typical DMC quality all the way, but this handle in particular needs to be seen and held up close to really be appreciated - it’s just beautiful. It’s a tad smaller than I expected, but that’s actually a good thing - it perfectly fills the void between my Santoku and the 6” utility knife (both also David Mary’s). Gonna be perfect for those finer jobs where the Santoku is a little too much knife and the 6” utility isn’t quite enough. So yes, this one is definitely going to get used.

IMG-1128.jpg

So this brand new from dealer A Wright and Sons Lambsfoot's spring is SOOOO tight that I broke both thumbnails trying to get it open 😭

I lubricated it with some Tuf-Glide and let it sit, but I could not work it into the blade pivot; and I finally had to go to my tool box for needle nose pliers and wrap the tips with painters tape to grab the blade and pull it out.

The wood is nice, the blade is perfectly centered with no wobble, it's pretty sharp, and there's minimal gaps on the mostly smooth back.

But I am now 99.97% sure I cannot close this knife without cutting the ^%$#@! out of myself doing it. I can return or exchange it, but that means shipping it back to Sheffield England!

Does anyone have suggestions if I do not want to have to go through returning it across the pond? I think I might be able to get the blade into a partially open position with some steel gauntlets on my hands for safety. So, do you think if I left it partially open (there is no half stop) that it would weaken the spring enough to be able to open and close it normally after a while? How long is enough?

O9jaiDg.jpeg

E1KEw8L.jpeg

sbnOnfT.jpg

XS49eIC.jpg

6jVIXqO.jpg

hBgEVmv.jpg

So this brand new from dealer A Wright and Sons Lambsfoot's spring is SOOOO tight that I broke both thumbnails trying to get it open 😭
Those seem to always be quite stiff to open, not sure how you got both thumbnails in there, but you are cleverer than I am... 😇
for knives like that they make a knife pick which aids in opening blades up, my 'technique' is to insert the pick, hold it steady and move the handle away from the blade, that way you keep the blade under control better. But I had bought one of those folders and just couldn't live with the stout opening and soon after getting it sold it off to someone with thumbnails made of steel ;)

Here's a thread that talks about those knife picks Seen in this thread here
G2

Last edited:
Back