Field/Travel Knife Sharpening Advice

I'm new to knife sharpening and know more theory about the sharpening than the practical. I was wondering what you all use for sharpening kits when you travel or are out in the field? Most systems seem to be large and meant for home use or are free hand (I still don't know how to maintain a perfect edge when sharpening on a stone without guide etc.). In my situation what would you recommend? I've seen pull-through options but those seem limited and leave a lot to be desired.

For almost 40 years I've used a Spyderco Sharpmaker. It is part of my travel kit now.
It is the system Chris Reeve recommended and sold himself.

I actually don't like stones that cannot be pressed into field sharpening systems... in the field is where I need my knife sharp the most!

Personally I like having a very coarse stone, a medium stone OR a very versatile fine stone, and a loaded strop. Most of the time this translates into a 1x6" 220 grit diamond (electroplated or resin venev), a loaded strop (often just the inside my belt preloaded with diamond stropping spray), and then the medium or fine stone. Now that medium or fine stone changes alot based on whims honestly and also what kind of steel my knife is; sometimes it's a small 1x4" translucent arkansas or a jasper viking whetstone, sometimes it's the 800 grit boron carbide chinese made stone, sometimes a wastikivi natural stone. If I'm carrying the ark or jasper stone I use the diamond to either create a slurry or just rough up the surface before using it with water to increase cutting speed, then finish on just water (no slurry). If I'm just touching up the edge (90% of the time this) I use the fine pocket stone dry and thus that fine/medium stone actually is the one that sees the most use. The strop is just there for when I struggle with a burr.

There's a bit of technique I prefer with the translucent ark and jasper stone: old grandpa method of making tiny circles along the edge. These stones put on a finish that's so fine that the scratch pattern doesn't seem to change based on direction if used with light pressure, and it de burrs most reliably this way

Edit: this combo is kinda the same thing as a fallkniven DC4, but I like a coarser diamond stone and prefer the naturals to the ceramic. End of the day it's probably minimal difference in results either way, coarser and longer lasting diamond stone (venev) makes me happier and does big repairs like chip repair much faster.

Last edited:
Fallkniven DC3 or DC4, Spyderco doublestuff and those small honeycomb patterned DMT diamond plates in various grits are all good.
Also Victorinox makes a couple of pen sized diamond and ceramic rods, also great.
My approach is to use a knife with a supersteel, like 3V or better, which will stay sharp for two, three and maybe more days, so I don't have to carry sharpening gear on shorter trips.

Last edited:
I've kept a pair of Spyderco pocket stones in both rigs for some years. They work great for the knives I have for camping, fieldwork, etc. I also have become a fan of the Victorinox "pen" sharpener. If, like me, you are more interested in a sharp, working edge, you can find success using a rock you pick up off the ground if you understand the very basic principles of knife sharpening (which is pretty much my level of knowledge - the basics). At home, I've mostly stuck with Spyderco and have their Sharpmaker kit as well as two of their benchstones (which I use to keep my Wusthof kitchen knives in good cutting order) along with a Wusthof metal honing rod. I also have a DMT Coarse/Extra coarse bench stone for tools.

My advice to the OP is to watch some videos and learn the basics of freehand sharpening. It ain't all that hard. I learned on a set of Arkansas stones back in the early 70's. I still have them but prefer ceramic stones these days.

Last edited:
Check out the Dull Boy Blades "Whole Enchilada." I am not affiliated, but PM me if you need a link.

For portable use, I have a DMT, double sided Diafold sharpener. Fine/extra fine combination for me, but they have other grit options available, too. Fairly small and light, and since they are diamond stones, they work on any type of steel. I wouldn't use it for regular, every day sharpening, but for touch ups on the go, it works fine.

I have a smiths dual grit diamond hone in my truck. When I go camping or on day hikes, there is a lansky dual grit puck in my go/day bag. When I used to go on overnight hikes, I usually had the smiths portable in my bag because it was the lightest sharpener I had. I now know the DMT is a lot lighter and better, but what does a poor 20yrold college student know

For touch ups I use a Gossman Sharpening Steel, he's a Maker here who sells beefy outdoors knives. I think he calls it a survival tool? It's old technology, they used to be popular over 100 years ago. He makes a modern version. It's also a wedge, and a scraper, and can be used for other stuff

it's Hard piece of coarse ground D2 steel that you rub your knife on.
It's slightly more than stropping.
I love it.
Every knife I make gets it

You said "out in the field". I'm sure that means different things to different people.

During my backpacking days I felt every ounce of gear that I carried. I never brought anything more than a small hone to sharpen with.

An edge doesn't need to be "perfect" in order to be sharp and effective. People have survived a long time on this planet sharpening and using knives effectively without the use of guided sharpening systems.

This is all I use to sharpen knives. Two 4" DMT diamond hones (coarse and fine), and a fine diamond file for recurve blades. None of which would be ideal for large blades, but the largest knives I would carry have 6" blades or under. And for that I get by just fine with what you see.

Freehand sharpening takes practice. It also helps to have realistic expectations, as in, you aren't likely going to get pretty, perfect, "Instagram" edges doing freehand. But that doesn't mean the knife won't cut.

sSxKQL6.jpg

Last edited:
I love the Baryonyx pocket stones. Less than ten bucks and do a great job. That said, I bring one camping and never use it. My knives generally stay pretty sharp.

You can also use some imagination and creativity and make it by yourself.
This is what I lately carry with myself when going somewhere.
Those diamond plates are 150x20x1 millimeters.... enough length to sharpen longer knives.
There is still place in the tubing for two more plates.
I wonder why so low interest in this forum for DIY.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HQDJTeuFtt62lknw3G1HCdY9luzOToVo/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HEzRzT8rLuGOKOQJiRjPmjr5_dKHD9Jt/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HQgsbRkJUKzkvU8ymk8h0SHNBfssJ90E/view?usp=drivesdk

So, Mister WhiskeyCreek,
I'm eagerly waiting here for your voice which portable sharpener did you get.
Or perhaps you changed your mind and you will just carry a few knives with you next time you'll go out in the fields to do 'survival thing'?

Back