First post: Schrade 153 UH Date of manufacture

One more data point for everyone: I just purchased a 153UH SN: 235227 with the original warranty card dated 3-1-80. It once belonged to a Rex Jones of Whittier CA.

Rex, if you are out there, I'll be sure to take care of your knife.

Welcome to the Schrade Collectors Forum!

Contrary to what most non-collectors of all things Schrade might think, the earlier Uncle Henry and Old Timer knives were indeed serialized. Earliest production of the 153UH Golden Spike was marked with a serial number on a left guard front. The intent was to register and track knives for warranty purposes.

The highest serial number I have noted so far is #422056, though this most likely is not the highest serial number made. According to a Schrade newsletter, serialization was to have ended as of January 1st, 1980. It is not known yet for sure whether this production change was made just after that internal memo or some time later.

I've not yet done a complete survey of the production records for this pattern, so I can't tell you exactly what year yours was made. Most likely it was after 1972 (only a very few were produced with the Schrade-Walden tang stamp before the company name was changed to "SCHRADE" in 1973).

Can you post pictures of your knife and sheath? We might be able to tell you more about it if we can see it. And also the associated box and papers if you have them. Logos and slogans help pare down the date too.

Ive been reading post's on here,I'm also just trying to get an idea of yr my 153uh serial# 229063 might be,i haven't seen any on here with around same numbers,I've been curious because it does look pretty old,can you or anyone help me with idea of yr?

Back