How To Fixing broken blade

Hey, I just finished making my first knife, it was supposed to be big, so as to use it like a small axe. It is from 80crv2. I did the sharpening and tried to break a small log in half and it just snapped. I am guessing it has to do with the heat treating since the two colors inside have different hardness. I did it with an improvised coal forge but was not able to get the whole knife to the right temperature, it wasn´t all non-magnetic. I knew it wasn´t going to harden all of the knife, but thought it would balance it self out after tempering and just that the parts would dull faster and was ok with that. So i tempered it 2x times but a couple of days apart (dont know if that could be the cause). I left it for a couple of days, then sharpened it and tried using it and this happened. I was wondering if there is any way to put it back together as it was my first and it took a lot of time because i dont have completely right tools. I know i can make it into a smaller knife but still thought it was worth to ask. My father suggested welding it back together, but I am a bit skeptical of it. (dont know why i couldnt add the images normaly, i had to add them as media)

That knife was cracked before you broke it. May have happened during forging if you forged it. It may have happened during quench.
Like humpty dumpy, it can't be put back together again

That knife was cracked before you broke it. May have happened during forging if you forged it. It may have happened during quench.
Like humpty dumpy, it can't be put back together again
Thank you. Another question I forgot to ask is if I use the part that has the handle and reshape it into a cleaver or something similar, would I have to heat treat it again?

Keep it cool as you grind it and you'll be OK. But as you grind, inspect closely for more cracks. Some may be microscopically small.

Back