Folder Photos?

Been slow in here lately ;). So.

Rob made some fantastic folders but few are ever seen. If you have any photos of his folder work please post them up. Should be nice to look at.

R.W.Clark said:
Been slow in here lately ;). So.

Rob made some fantastic folders but few are ever seen. If you have any photos of his folder work please post them up. Should be nice to look at.

I have one, but cant post photos on this forum, can I take a pic and send it to you?

I meant to hook up with you at the Classic (I suppose you were there?) but was just too busy over at the Shot Show.

Need to ask you some questions...........can you email your phone number and when it would be a good time to call???

Thanks, Tom

Sure Tom, e-mail it over and I will post it up. I think I am going to start grabing photos from other sites (with permission of course).

Spent most of my time at SHOT being abused by Jerry :D. Only had a couple hours at the Classic. I will drop you a line a little later.

Thanks, I e-mailed Dave about that photo. I was hoping he would e-mail a copy to me. As far as the link. Cool with me, it Simonich thats all that matters.

I would like to hear from Dave about the lock set up on that piece. She sure is sweet!

R.W.Clark said:
I would like to hear from Dave about the lock set up on that piece. She sure is sweet!

I could be wrong.. Used to it by now ;) :D... But Rob's folder design must've been picked up by REKAT (as well as his pikuni). I have a REKAT Carnivore with green g-10 that is VERY similar to that. If so, it should be a roll lock. REKAT's lock usually needed to be buffed from the box, but I highly doubt Rob's had that problem :cool:

The Carnivore was a collaboration between Rob, Pat Crawford and Bob Taylor (of REKAT) with Pat supplying the basic design, Bob the "rolling lock", and Rob the Talonite. 33 were made by Rob with the contours of the handle slimmed down on his versions. Pat made 33 and Bob offered 34 for a total of 100 pieces. REKAT also sold some non-Talonite versions of this folder. Obviously the information with the Carnivore offered by Dave (Steel Addictions) is wrong when he opined that only 2 were made :( As an aside, Gary Graley told me he believes there is a good chance that the one sold by Steel Addictions is the one he originally bought from Rob.

I have Rob's first made of the series which was sent to me in September 1999.

Here are some pictures Rob took to document the making of his first Carnivore:

carnivore2.jpg

carnivore3.jpg

carnivore5.jpg

carnivore6.jpg

carnivore8.jpg

carnivore7.jpg

--Bob

Not to be forgotten: James Mattis, Walt "Doc" Welch, Rob Simonich

Very cool photos Bald 1, thanks for sharing those. Do you know if they were all made with the filework like the one on Daves site? Or could that be what he meant by only two?

REKATs out of business now, correct? And is Pat still making this pattern?

I need to call Seth at Bladeart.. I remember when I worked there we came across one of Rob's very first folders. Very cool indeed. Ron sure did miss everyone at Vegas this year but it sounds like all had a great time. :)

R.W.Clark said:
Very cool photos Bald 1, thanks for sharing those. Do you know if they were all made with the filework like the one on Daves site? Or could that be what he meant by only two?

REKATs out of business now, correct? And is Pat still making this pattern?

RW,

Mine has a simple black G10 spacer unlike the fileworked stainless spacers of the later models. All, including mine, have filework on the liners. Rob teased about retrofitting mine which also never had the REKAT license info stamped on the reverse of the blade as did later Carnivores. We were going to have that done when I was to send it back for a handle touch up... I'd taken a small chip out of an edge of the ironwood :( I use my custom knives... hard, and the Carnivore has been no exception having been in daily rotation since I got it. Alas it never made it back to Rob. We both kept looking for a window of opportunity for a quick turn around but.... I do have documentation from Rob certifying mine as his first just as I do with paperwork on his first fixed blade in Talonite, the Wambli.

carnivore4.jpg

carnivore9.jpg

Although I'm sure the pictures are gone, there were several threads about the Carnivores from Rob, Pat, and Bob on BFC in late '99 and throughout 2000. Here's a few good ones which also describe the customization Rob was doing for each customer. Again it is important to note that Rob's flavor had much less severe handle lines and as such was felt to be the most ergonomic of the lot. Most of the 33 reservations were also taken as this thread developed:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122435
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122264
It may also have only been 30 that Taylor made up in Talonite.

Butch Winter's BLADE 2000 article also discusses the Carnivore:
http://www.carbideprocessors.com/Knives/Talonite_Review4.htm

One Stop still has a page showing a smaller version of Pat's Carnivore called the Cub:
http://www.1sks.com/store/rekat-carnivore-cub.html
Other samples with photos can be found here:
http://www.jaysknives.com/customknives_5.htm
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/bestknives/patcrawcar.html
But I don't see any Carnivore's on Pat's home page at this time. His Wortac has similar lines but with a different lock than the rolling one from REKAT. And yes, REKAT is no longer in business.

Trust this all helps :)

--Bob

PS RW your web site URL seems to have been taken over by Pool.com. What's with that? You have a new site?

Wow, Bald. Thanks, lots of info there. So the info on Daves site is way off. That happens I guess, hard to be 100% with so many knives out there. He most likely just went off of what he was told when he bought the piece. I know Dave personally and I know he would never intentionally put up false info.

I was hoping that this folder might make for a MidTech prospect but with the exsiting patents and it being a Crawford design, the chances of that happening seem slim.

Off topic:

My Domian expired some time ago and was purchased by Pool.com. I bought it back from them as soon as it came on the market. However, since I have decided to focus on doing mainly subcontract work for other makers, I have not put my site back up. I still do my own customs but they are only availible at the three yearly shows I do. The MidTech work keeps me just way to busy to do any more than that. I really need to pull the link out of my sig line.

I bought the one from Steel Addiction. Mine also does not have the rekat info stamped on the reverse side. Will post pics as soon as I get some that are respectable :)

Keith,

Not surprised that yours doesn't have the REKAT license info on the blade either. That's consistent with some of the "whys" Gary Graley thought he might have been the first owner of the piece you bought... Gary's was one of the early ones :)

Another aside.... the prices went up shortly after I bought mine from Rob too. Having worked with him from the beginning on Talonite, I think he cut me a little slack :)

Best!

--Bob

RW,

Were you at Rob's funeral? I'm wondering if we met although there were so many there that I've had a hard time keeping things straight. Hell I'd forgotten I'd met Ida there :( Must be an age thing! hehehehehe

--Bob

Yes, we met there. I was the one in the black felt hat and the shearling jacket. We ran into each other in the parking lot when you first got to the hotel.

Good deal. I kinda wondered if you weren't one of the gang that came with Trace. Given the emotions of the event it has been hard keeping things straight. Those of you who continue to work helping Christine and Megan out have my admiration and respect. I was lucky enough to win Trace's damascus Leo as part of the fund raising auction for the Simonich family and look forward to the introduction of the Kootenai :)

Best!

--Bob

Back