• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Francisco Vaz —- Problem resolved

Jaysdad2

Platinum Member
Please disregard any positive endorsements that I have given Francisco. I accept my part in ordering and pre-paying for knives with a new international maker.

However, I have been promised that at least 5 knives were shipped by DHL February 10, 2024. DHL has no information about this shipment other than a tracking number was generated on February 10. Apparently, Francisco created a bill of lading.

Francisco also promised shipment of at least 5 more knives by the end of February. Still no deliveries. I have had lots of emails and excuses, but no photos of work in progress or finished work to prove that my items were ever made.

If Francisco corrects this situation, I will gladly update this post.

Here are two quotes from Francisco back on February 6 when I complained about delays on items that he said were shipped:

January have been a month with many new things in my workshop and a very chaotic schedule, i should have done more effort for your order and im ashamed i didn't, a chaotic schedule should be not an excuse for someone who should be professional, i will work on it.

Once again i apologize and please be aware that youre one of my most prized customers, not only in terms of supporting but also in a personal level, you gave me very good words during the course of 2023 which taught me a lot, i feel really bad to see you this way towards my work, but i completely do understand it.

Extremely frustrated and severely disappointed about this FOR YOU and WITH YOU!

Problem: I too am in a similar situation and probably should've mentioned this much sooner but was clearly naive and hoping for TRUE resolution!
I am still waiting, sad to say, for multiple packages from back around HALLOWEEN, whaaaaattttt!
DHL was originally the issue, and was supposedly working through storms, floods, erosions, and delays (which I could understand). Then, he shipped me other knives, I believe he said, through UPS, but I have not received those either (and this is over a couple months as well).

Resolution: We have prepaid for our blades. We, and any others, (at least this is what I would appreciate) should receive our knives (as promised and already paid for) OR made new and shipped the quickest and most reliable way (albeit there aren't many) possible. OR We should receive our FULL MONEY BACK.

Francisco, please respond to this and have some personal accountability. We have provided you with the ability to truly flourish in this setting, all while enjoying the fruit of your God-given creative talent for a blade at a fair price. There is still a way to recover from this, IF you realize your part in this tough and terrible situation AND THEN make GOOD, RIGHT, & TRUE on your prepaid for PROMISES.

I hope that Jaysdad2 Jaysdad2 , myself and anyone else, can change our unfortunate and current position about you. Hopefully, we will see an astoundingly talented young man own up and resolve this THE RIGHT WAY!

JT

I see that he was on the site just a few minutes ago. Please keep us apprised. Failure to deliver will force us to prohibit his posting new work for sale on the Exchange unless resolved in an expedient manner.

Completely reasonable to feel this way and im ashamed to be in such position. Youre both great customers of mine which have been continuosly supporting my work. Im in the middle of the worst climate tragedy in my state right now, Rio Grande do Sul, i will be emailing you in a moment. So far, this situation will be fixed the best way as it always have been. Im in the market for a few years and definitely not let you down on this. Im thankful for your support.

I saw the news story which Francisco sent me early this morning with more excuses about delays. The weather is a tragedy and my prayers are with the people who were killed and having trouble.

However, I don’t see how a flood in May should affect shipments that were supposedly delivered to DHL on February 10 which were supposed to be shipped once or twice before that. In fact, using an excuse like a weather tragedy is even worse than just telling me “I am sorry I got over extended and should not have taken your order or your money.” Francisco has told me he would make it right, and that another shipment (with other knives I ordered) was being sent about a month ago by UPS, but no tracking number and no package delivery from UPS either. I have taken this up with him several times before resorting to this post. I only posted here to help anyone else who is thinking about ordering. I can sit on my sores, but I don’t want others to if I can help. This is the first time I have complained publicly in 20 years of custom knife purchases, sales and trades.

Do I feel like a fool, Yes. Is he handling his business in an honorable way, No.

That’s horse pucky. A flood in May doesn’t excuse a shipment that should have gone out in February. Might as well still be blaming “pandemic supply disruptions.”

I saw the news story which Francisco sent me early this morning with more excuses about delays. The weather is a tragedy and my prayers are with the people who were killed and having trouble.

However, I don’t see how a flood in May should affect shipments that were supposedly delivered to DHL on February 10 which were supposed to be shipped once or twice before that. In fact, using an excuse like a weather tragedy is even worse than just telling me “I am sorry I got over extended and should not have taken your order or your money.” Francisco has told me he would make it right, and that another shipment (with other knives I ordered) was being sent about a month ago by UPS, but no tracking number and no package delivery from UPS either. I have taken this up with him several times before resorting to this post. I only posted here to help anyone else who is thinking about ordering. I can sit on my sores, but I don’t want others to if I can help. This is the first time I have complained publicly in 20 years of custom knife purchases, sales and trades.

Do I feel like a fool, Yes. Is he handling his business in an honorable way, No.

Totally justified and very well put.

Thanks for giving us a heads up!

This entire situation is lousy, and I'm not here to fully jump the gun, and not looking to BURN anyone.

BUT WE NEED THE FULL TRUTH, RESOLUTION, AND A PLAN OF ACTION

I have been corresponding by email with Francisco and called on him to provide us this information.

This is something I just wrote to him in response to Jaysdad2 response at 3:21pm today:

"how do you justify the sending of new packages to both him (Jaysdad2) and I in roughly February and March or so, and neither of us receiving tracking from UPS or our packages? How do we move forward? Did our packages truly get lost or destroyed by flooding, or something else? Just let each of us know how to proceed forward so we CAN PLACE OUR TRUST IN YOU AGAIN.

If you shipped all of our stuff and it all got lost or damaged. Did you receive funds for their replacement? Either way, the resolution of this should be your priority. We don't have all the details and everyone may not need them, if you just share what ACTUALLY HAPPENED AND THEN PROVIDE A COURSE OF ACTION AND RESOLUTION FOR US, IN THE BLADE FORUM POST (GENERALLY) AND THEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS BY EMAIL (FOR THE SPECIFIC DETAILS), that would be the appropriate response. Just make sure not to promise what cannot be delivered. Then provide each of us what will take place with a reliable time frame. If you can't trust any shipping company to ship your products outside of your local area or all the way to the US, then just tell everyone that. If you cannot remake the knives, then provide a plan to pay us back. You have options and at least a couple of us, if not more, have been completely on your side and giving you benefit of the situation. But it's time for RESOLUTION AND ACTION.

I understand that a terrible situation like this CAN HAPPEN, but your response to make it right MUST BE VOICED to ALL the people affected by it. So, make a plan and share it with us."

Francisco, everyone here is rooting for you to, not wave a wand and magically fix everything, but to provide a plan of you fixing the situation.

Nobody wants you to fail...we all want you to succeed...this is your chance...You got this!

Francisco would be wise to offer immediate refunds to Bladeforums members wanting a quick resolution. What happens on Bladeforums, may negatively impact his reputation on other social media sites. Twisted excuses about fulfilling knife shipments that may have disappeared in the tracking system just won’t suffice. I hope that Francisco starts to be more truthful, and continues to grow his business without causing stress to his clients. Promises and talk don’t mean much, if a person can’t actually deliver an immediate solution.

Well this is a disappointing thread to come across. Also waiting on a shipment of knives supposed to have been shipped out in February. Really hoping this gets resolved for everyone.

I’ve been reluctant to post but I’m in the same boat. My order from August was just received on three raptors but have a concern with the paring blade, the carbon fiber is splitting on the hidden tang. Francisco made me a couple of blades to make up for my August order but these have been delayed also along with a Beetle from his pre-order on ten of these. Eternal Edge Eternal Edge put into words what I’ve been going through, absolutely love Francisco’s work and being 24 he has a great future ahead of him once he gets this figured out.🤔

Email from Francisco asking if I would like a refund. I have replied that I would like a refund at this point since he offered. I will update here if I receive anything.
From Francisco:
“Brian just a quick question - would you prefer a refund? I will do my best to honor our pendencies and this seems to be a reasonable question.”

To start: I really love my Francisco Vaz Francisco Vaz knives. But this was exactly my experience:

Right down to the weather causing the delay AFTER the knives had allegedly been shipped weeks prior. It took a few more weeks before DHL acknowledged receiving the knives. I wouldn't say I regret the purchase; but I wouldn't have done a commission with him had I known it would progress as it did—at least not at this stage in his career.

Honesty and transparency matter.

Again, I reiterate, please keep staff informed by making reports if orders are not fulfilled so that we can prevent future sales threads from being posted until these matters are taken care of...and also carefully evaluate the maker's membership status.

As I recall from the past, this maker was also brought to our attention for his use of species of wood which were prohibited from being exported / imported.

I hate reading this, here's a guy producing very good knives, developed a following and now has gotten himself deep in the shit. I think I was one of the first to get a knife from him, he communicated and followed through. If I was in the market for more kitchen knives I'd be in the same boat as you folks. Frederico, you have to step up and make this right!

Completely reasonable to feel this way and im ashamed to be in such position. Youre both great customers of mine which have been continuosly supporting my work. Im in the middle of the worst climate tragedy in my state right now, Rio Grande do Sul, i will be emailing you in a moment. So far, this situation will be fixed the best way as it always have been. Im in the market for a few years and definitely not let you down on this. Im thankful for your support.
I respect you for immediately coming onto the thread and replying quickly. I urge you to deal with the matter promptly.

These types of threads have a way of developing into a lasting problem for a makers reputation.

Good afternoon everyone,
Still quite mess here but just wanted to do a quick jump here.

First thing is that i will not fight over Brian's demands, he is the customer here is my policy is quite clear as it all has been: i will turn backwards if possible to meet customers expectations. Not only a customer, but a really great customer that even offered to pay me extra on a few knives he owns from me when back in 2023 i had to make some medical exams for a strange pain i was feeling in my guts.

I have reached the international market a couple years and since them i have delivered over 200 customers (probably more) and made over 400 knives, not only to US initially.

I left high school straight to knifemaking full time, back in that time knifemaking as a career was not even a thing, but i just wanted to follow up my passion... you can see by this thread my artistic skills may have created a gap between my logistic/business skills, i apologize for this, im more listening than talking here, but that is the conclusion i reached after thinking how one of my great customers reached this point of frustration after complimenting my work over months, i did really bad!

It somehow challenging to write such text in a different language on a smartphone, i dont want to express myself wrong, but:

Any member with on going orders with me, if you dont trust anymore my work, that is completely ok and i wont fight on it
I have created now this email fvaztroubleshooting@gmail.com - please contact here if you have order with me and would like to discuss any problems and asking for a refund. It will be honored and it will be fast.

Regarding shipments delay, there were in fact specific delays due DHL using 3th companies in my region. It is important to say i live in the southernmost city on Brazil, LITERALLY, and quite far from the big city which DHL has their gateway. They had used in the past really bad 3th companies that used to make a very long route to make it worth in terms of gas and logistics (very few people in Brazil uses DHL, most of them uses Correios which is an state company) - so to make it worth, they grab packages for many companies, and for such, they attend to multiple interests. Last year we got over 4 cyclones in my region, there are plenty media reports of it and i have shared some of them - there were a lot of queues created in the shipments since 3th uses trucks and honestly, it seems to me that a small business shipping low volume of about 1~2kg packages will be obviously put in low priority compared to bigger companies that bring much more income to DHL as customers. There are public reports of many other customers here in Brazil claiming problems with 3th - this is the reason why im leaving them and starting to use UPS which seems to have a much greater reputation and use also different routes, as well better 3th companies. UPS and fedex seems to be the best by now. A few delays became so bad i even personally visited their warehouse in feb, which i also reported to Brian, because i was not sure it they were lying to me as they are not very helpful via call. It is quite far from me but it was necessary.

It is also important to remember that, posts like this may create a bias that im a horrible person or maker, but in bulk of all the knives i did last year and delivered, more than 150, a very small portion faced problems, i would say with ease less than 10% of the customers - there are in fact a few exceptions as you can see in this post, but i'm only one and making high-end knives is a kid playground compared to dealing with people in a business - this requires tones of skills that you can only develop by trying, as someone with 24 im still a work in progress

Literally by every transaction i usually learn a thing or two - i got customers over all the states of america and sometimes a customer from NY is different from a customer in California, bringing different demands, communication and such. It is a true challenge to adapt to that, but i do my best, most of my customers have a very friendly relationship with me.

Last 2 months i have been very busy assisting my parents in law, which also forced me to slow down my production as they live far from me and sometimes i had to be in their home taking care for days, i didnt even posted any available knives in the forum - my communication become really bad with customers and i also reported that to orders.

If you're a customer and currently are concerned, please feel free to contact me, i can prove every single word I said here, i would love to share anything on my end that could make the transaction smoother or easier, including a refund if you simply dont want to be concerned.

Bladeforums is a great community, made customers and friends here, people taught me a lot, even a few customers reached me back in 24h offering to help and discussed how the situation is towards the customers perspective - this is super important, most of my customers here comes from different generations and more than double my age, is really difficult for me to see how you see but im blessed for the help.

Blues Blues As of the kingwood i posted in the bladeforums, i mentioned by that time that customs COULD create delays, as sometimes they can create by basically anything, but this is unlike to happen as CITES allows packages of under 10kg as per finished products (such as knife scales) link https://www.bada.org/resources/business-briefing-cites-restrictions-lifted-certain-rosewoods
10kg is quite a lot of kingwood, probably no one would buy that much.

I will be sharp on my email, but please tolerate longer times to reply back, we are about to be hit anytime from now - my city is in the sea level and all the rain up the states comes here to flows to the ocean, could be something bad or could be something BAD, we dont know yet.

Thank you all, sorry for typos of any kind.

Back