Full size stone handles?

Michael, I have long thought about putting a great stone handle on some of my blades, unfortunately, all my handles are through tang, and average 5" in lenght if not slightly longer. Is a stone handle that size, in that method, possible, or even advisable? (I won't even think about the cost at the moment):)

It is possible but not one I would try without a "cage". Basically I do have a design for a through tang but since I do not do metal work I do not personally use the design although I have the right to it. I have attached photos.

Yes, I did the Jade work for this dagger.....

Attachments

• Dagger handle designed for stone slab scales.jpg
    Dagger handle designed for stone slab scales.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 50
  • dagger6.JPG
    dagger6.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 45
  • dagger5.JPG
    dagger5.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 44
  • dagger2.jpg
    dagger2.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Dagger with Edwards Black scales.jpg
    Dagger with Edwards Black scales.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
In looking at your avatar I think a connection with a water jet cutting service could even cut a cage and tang for a curved handle.

That's impressive work. Stone slabs would work as well as a through tang. Could you PM me some ballpark prices, or is that too general a question?

Are you asking for a price on the stonework or cage/tang? The cage and tang were sent to me by the artist who did the knife.

The stonework would vary hugely by the size and thickness needed for the stone; the complexity of the cuts needed as a curved tang would be more difficult; and the cost of the actual stone used.

The artist who did the dagger selected a very rare Jade - Edwards Black from Wyoming. The cost was in the several hundred range for the Jade, shop consumables and labor with the labor cost at about $150. and the shop consumables $30. The Jade - $250. as best I can remember.

Back