Fun Bent Chopper!

I can't seem to find my personal chopper. So, when I was moving some knives out of my closet (Tornadoes were being threatened and my wife didn't want to be impaled.) I saw the knife that I chopped a couple of 2x4's, cut some rope with and bent 90 degrees at the ABS School.

I then figured I could have a new chopper really fast! So, I went out to the shop did a little unbending and decided to do rubberized paracord for a quick handle. I am excited to start chopping stuff and see how the rubber holds up.

Nice lookin chopper,is that plastidip on the handle?
I've wondered how that stuf would hold up over a paracord wrap.

Mykel, It has been chopping on limbs and soda cans so far and is doing just fine. My real question on the plasti-dip is: How long will it hold up? My guess is that it will hold up for a good while although not forever. However, it is really grippy and I suspect that in a survival situation if you had need for the paracord underneath you could probably peal it off. So, I think perhaps on a survival knife where you wanted something a little more comfortable and grippy than paracord, but still want to have access to the cordage it would be a good choice. I am liking it on my chopper so far.

Thanks Allen,I wouldn't expect it to hold up forever,but thats good that it has some durability.
I was really curious about how it would hold up with use.
I might try some on one of my necker handles.

Sooo....hows the forging going?
Getting some knives ready for the show?

Thanks Allen,I wouldn't expect it to hold up forever,but thats good that it has some durability.
I was really curious about how it would hold up with use.
I might try some on one of my necker handles.

Sooo....hows the forging going?
Getting some knives ready for the show?

Paracord and plasti-dip are both inexpensive. So if you are curious I say give it a try on a personal use knife like I am.

As far as the show goes. I have some larger knives forged out and heat treated. And I am trying to decide what if any stock removal knives to bring.

Plasti-dip is so convenient that you can remove it without much fuss and the underlying material stays very clean. We've used it on automobile trim and even wheels, and it makes it through several passes of the powerwasher unblemished, so it's durable enough. It is after all, made to be a grippy handle coating for tools. And if it does come off after a while, just re-dip or re-spray !

Back