Gerber LST - am I in the right place?

ejt

I am a fan of LB's over slip joints for safety. (My son's first knife was a Schrade SP2; it lives in his tackle box along with his multi-tool.)

Aside from the inherent looks, as well as the nostalgia value, of MOP, stag, and "my grandfather's knife" images, I think of traditionals as simple little knives designed to be a handy, easy to carry, tool, hard to imagine it threatening (except maybe in the hands of MacGiver, who could probably use a scout knife, a roll of duct tape, and an old can of soup to make a nuclear device!)

So here's the thing - I carry a Gerber LST: small, light, simple, non-one-hand, plain drop point blade. If the handle were wood, it would be a traditional. Does the use of plastic for the handle place it elsewhere? It sure ain't tactical! (In fact, by coincidence, I do have a near-identical Gerber knife that I received as a 15-year gift from my company. Same knife, but wood handle & brass hardware, company logo burned on the handle. Very traditional-looking pocket-knife. It's what made me get the LST in the first place.)

Tough question. I have an LST that I've carried quite often for the past 18 years or so, through the Army, as well as all three of my civilian jobs. It probably has more miles on it than any of my other knives. I've added a leather fob to it, so it's not all plastic and steel.

They don't make them as good now, but mine has a nice blade to spring meeting, locks up smooth, and a nice brushed finish on the back of the blade and spring. The back of the blade is squared, not rounded like the more recent ones, and works great for scaling fish, scraping paint, ect...

I would call this a modern style knife, with traditional values. Certainly not a tacticle knife.

Steve, I like that. Modern style knife, with traditional values. That about somes up what I would classify the LST as.

Yep, The LST is a Modern Traditional. I say that because
it take two hands to open just as any traditional does & it
does it with modern materials.

Back