Gerber SLG 3,25 review : defeniteley underrated folder !

Hello folks,

Here it is :
View

Some observations:

When you pull this baby from it's box, two things will strike you. 1. the odd shaped clip 2, the slender size and it's incredibely light weight. That's right, this is about the lightest folder I ever had.
Then I started observing the handle.. nicely rounded off G-10 scales, something I didn't expect. And a pivot screw which actually looks nice..
biggrin.gif
this gotta be the first. It has a one sided liner, but the scales match up for this..the non-liner side is just as thick as the side with liner. Makes a nice balanced knife. This one has a lanyard too ! and a nice one too. really fits tightly in the G-10. the overall quality seems rather good, I'd say like Benchmade or Spyderco.

It has a open back, which I don't like (sorry - just don't like open back knives). but the spacer tubes are finished just like the Ti liner.. yes folks, a Ti liner.. when you open this baby you notice the odd liner shape..but hey, the liner is situated for away from the edge of the G-10, so they rounded off the liner so you can acces it easy..the tumbstud is cute, not sharp and comfortable.. could have been a little longer tough, as they don't make the knife extra wide, because they are just as high as the G-10 liners. the blade - now this is a beaty - .. it's slender, not too thich, and Razorsharp (you see the hair flying away from the edge if you scrape you arm). I think for EDC this would be a very good choice for people who do not intend to cut tree with it or cut cord all day. Blade is ATS-34, and marked first production run.
blade rides dead-center, liner action : ( there's gotta some bad point here - this is a Gerber ?
biggrin.gif
)... hmmm..opens firmy, 1/4 th part of the blade tang. this is gotta be a liner which I can pop..thin liner..thin blade... but no way.. the liner is not straight..it's bent slightly so the front goes higher then the rear part. This makes unlocking easy, but has another cool effect..if you whiteknucle the grip (yes it gives way..it's not a sebbie
biggrin.gif
) you push the liner back into the blade, thus further onto the blade tang.. then it becomes hard to unlock, but it won't fail. ... this small folder would be perfect for tough women
biggrin.gif

and guys who like a small classy looking knife. It's overall shape remind me of a CRKT apache, only smaller and slender.

Oh yes, it's tough, and it's well made. this could a competitor of the BM ascent series, even the small AFCK's, or the spydie rookie series. I think it fits about in those classes.
Well... let's see what the blade says: cutting test ! carboard: this becomes fun..the blade is like 2 mm thick, it flies trough. no real hard pressure needed. The liner does have the habit of getting sticky against the blade tang.. but I kinda like that. It's no big liner, you don't need tools to deblock it.
one of my favourite features: the cutout in the back of the blade where the stoppin comes..after a while you can see where the pin touches the blade and vice versa..bu no..the stoppin hits the whole cutout.. not just a part, the whole thing..most liners need a while to wear this part in.
And off course the tumb ramp: real good grip..not too rough, not too soft..just right.
after a whole lot of cardboard ( I was really tired when I cut the same amount with my starmate) the blade lost shaving abilities. it was easy to restore the factory edge, I suspect that Gerber leaves their ATS-34 a little softer then Benchmade.

This thing is very pointy, and very good for detailled jobs like cutting those damn things out of the back of a nex T-shirt because it's irritating!
biggrin.gif
. . if you ever did this, you know that you must go wire by wire and don't miss or it'll show as a hole in the T-shirt.. the Gerber worked amazingly good as a scalpel, partially because of it's light weight. For reference, I have a steel parker pen, it weighs about the same.

What didn't I say..hmm.. for the price they offer these, it's a bargain. if you are worried about losing you AFCK, or need an even lighter replacement, this is your thing.

Oh another thing.. if other clip knives don't fit your pants, be sure to try this one.. you see the 3 srews on each side?
they are all just as far from eachother, which mean this knife has 2 carry option, tip up and tip down (whithout adding extra holes which always seem to look bad
biggrin.gif
).
With a little effort you can make your own clip and attach it anywhere on the knife.

Greetz, Bart.

------------------
"If the world wouldn't SUCK, we'd all fall off !"

You can E-mail me at any time....guaranteed reply !

member of the BKS
http://www.expage.com/belgianknives
My photopoint page :
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=488545&f=0

Nice review Bart. Take my earlier advice and keep the knife. It is good quality but cheap which makes it a perfect beater. I know that the owner of Grand Prairie Knives, Mike Peyton, carries one of the Gerber International Series, the Air Ranger as his EDC. This is a guy who could chose from thousands of blades. I think that speaks well for this series quality.

Back