Good fillet knives for fish? White River Knives and similar?

Pro Fillet from WRN
9UZHiYz.jpg

Who makes really good quality fishing fillet knives for moderate pricing these days?

I need a knife for Saltwater fishing larger things but, not offshore fishing sized! Plus, if I am on a charter, I would expect the crew to be able to work the fish to something reasonable for me to take home.

I am Surf and Bay fishing in the Gulf of Mexico region so, you can hook a lot of things but, ~30lbs or more is not likely or frequent. Bay fishing is similar if the big fish are chasing bait fish into the bay. Then my friend needs something good for 2~5lb Bass and large Bluegill and Crappie.

I am open to suggestions for myself but, I am thinking a ~6" for my smaller catches and a 10"~12" for bigger stuff. For my friend, I think a single 7" might be the sweet spot.

I remember some Canadian knifemakers that specialized in this type of knife in the ~$150USD range. And, there are likely some USA makers as well that I am unaware of.

And, no Dexter Russell or similar stamped knife recommendations please. My friend was specifically recommended these, various BassPro, and similar options that have not worked out for him. He is well past getting a $150 knife with what has already been spent. Constant edge maintenance is not something he is willing to do so, AEBL, SVN35, etc. are probably the better choices today. Talonite, Cobalt 6K, and similar options would likely work well but, are probably too expensive and getting the 'flex' right may be an issue as well.

So, if you were going to spend more than $100 and less than $300 for a fishing fillet knife, where would you look and shop? My friend is Freshwater fish only, and I am mainly Saltwater fishing. I am debating going to Atlanta Blade as well in ~4 weeks if there are things and places there I should focus on.

TIA,
Sid

Last edited:
S Sid Post
If you’re interested in a smallish filet knife, stop whatever you’re doing and find a retailer that still has a Spyderco Catcherman in stock.

I found a Toor Avalon (S35VN) on sale last summer and took it on my final Lake Trout expedition for the year. It’s solidly built and high quality, but it’s a touch thick for a filet knife. Maybe it would be more in tune for saltwater catches.

I received the Catcherman just yesterday, and I think it’s going to be perfect for me. The bit of serrations might help me get through the Y-bones, should I catch a worthwhile northern. It might be a bit short for some, but it’s light, thin, and foldable. It’s going to be easy to take with me wherever I go. It’s LC200N, so maintenance will be a breeze. I can’t wait to put it to use!

Last edited:
S Sid Post

Contact David Mary David Mary or visit his sub-forum here:

For filleting things like summer flounder, etc., believe it or not, I actually prefer not to have a hair-popping edge, which can shave off "slivers" of bones and leave them in the meat ... one old timer I used to fish with as a kid actually used a cheapo thin butter knife to fillet them.

I also like something real flexible...I currently use a Forschner fillet knife, but even that is overkill since you don't really need super sharp IMHO...

For smaller fish I also have a folding Normark fillet knife that has a real grippy, rubbery handle and a very flexible blade. Gets super sharp, too.

For tuna, dolphin, etc., I like a real sharp edge since I'm cutting through skin and nicking larger bones on a regular basis, for those I use a Forschner breaking knife or fillet knife.

Growing up we used the ones from Walmart.
Rapala F1f4, sure it isn't a cool 200 dollar mega knife but we never felt like it didn't "fillet"

S Sid Post

Contact David Mary David Mary or visit his sub-forum here:

Thank you for the recommendation. And you’re right, I’m currently offering Finesse Filets in .094” AEB-L at 63 RC.

Here’s one during grinding:

73637083630__A330EC31-69F6-4674-8E11-8C561BB91423.jpg

And just before it got my makers mark.
IMG_6811.jpg

And with its friends prior to shipping:
IMG-6834.jpg

Benchmade just introduced a couple in Magnacut.

I have one Finesse Filet blank left in MagnaCut as well.

Benchmade just introduced a couple in Magnacut.
I called my local BM dealer and had him set aside one of the 7" versions (https://www.benchmade.com/collections/water/products/18010). I have used Rapala fillet knives since childhood but wanted a better blade with superior edge retention. Blade steel is CPM Magnacut. For the first time in a long time I am actually excited to go get this knife. Can't wait to try it out. List for the 7" is $240. You can get it a little cheaper through many dealers.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread. Thanks for starting it.

I called my local BM dealer and had him set aside one of the 7" versions (https://www.benchmade.com/collections/water/products/18010). I have used Rapala fillet knives since childhood but wanted a better blade with superior edge retention. Blade steel is CPM Magnacut. For the first time in a long time I am actually excited to go get this knife. Can't wait to try it out. List for the 7" is $240. You can get it a little cheaper through many dealers.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread. Thanks for starting it.

Curious, with a Kermode being ~60% the cost of the Benchmade, why that one as opposed to a Kermode or something else?

Curious, with a Kermode being ~60% the cost of the Benchmade, why that one as opposed to a Kermode or something else?
I had not seen the North Arm Kermode (I assume that is the one you mean). It looks like a very nice knife. The reason I would choose Benchmade over that one is 1) Nothing wrong with Canadian manufacture but I would prefer to support USA manufacturers, 2) I would not care for a fillet knive with a 40 degree edge angle, and 3) I have had nothing but good experiences with Benchmade knives. Simply my preferences.

By the way, I really like the Benchmade, although I have not put it to its intended use yet. Wow, does that thing have an edge on it!

I have the Benchmade and Spyderco folders, just because if I'm on a trip to the pond and have a tackle bag and light weight stuff, it's nice to have a folder. As someone who has grown up with traditional fillet fixed knives, the Spyderco disappoints me a good bit. It's too stiff and the serrations are not something I want at all. The Benchmade works really well - even though I think that blade guard extension is pretty clunky.

I have many filet knives collected over the years. I prefer a fixed blade primarily because they are much easier to clean and maintain. For me, the ideal blade length has been between 6-7 inches. Much shorter than that and it is difficult to filet the fish, especially bass. I have not used SE knives. I do keep an old buck folder in my tackle box for occasions when I do filet fish away from home. So a folder should be in the mix. Spyderco catcherman looks good but I think it is too short.

Back