Green Thumb

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hello hello!

I designed this to be a multi purpose, light weight outdoors knife. The leaf shaped blade is a versatile shape, while the handle provides many options for your hand, and the knife is generally svelte and unobtrusive.

This particular iteration is a little different than what I originally had in mind. A local friend of mine wanted a knife for gardening, so this knife has a hollow ground main primary bevel, while the primary bevel out toward the tip is flat ground with a convex plane. The idea being that the acute main edge will prune effortlessy and leave a clean cut, while the portion of the blade out toward the tip is robust enough for minor digging type work and more heavy use. There is no distal taper, and while this knife isn't built for super heavy duty use, the blade is very stiff. I opted for a coarse grit, hand rubbed finish.

The construction of this knife's handle utilizes a G10 frame, which is pinned in place to both handle scales using 2mm stainless steel pins. The scales are burlap micarta, which is quite abrasion resistant and tough, and they are held together via two G10 pins and a brass lanyard tube. The steel is AEB-L, with a cryogenic quench for high hardness and maximum wear resistance for this material.

The sheath is 9oz veg tan leather, dyed and hot packed, and per customer request built for calf carry. I have to measure her leg yet, so that I can build the strap system which is be adjustable via chicago screws and easily mounted and dismounted with snaps. The straps will be Biothane.

Approx weight of knife; 4.45oz
Approx weight of sheath; 2.95oz
Blade length; 4 5/8"
Overall length; 9"
Steel thickness; .14"
Handle width; .70"

aRCIpio.jpg

zfUZjy0.jpg

G2B9lZs.jpg

KGNBeK5.jpg

VgF4qFQ.jpg

Thank you so much for looking! Comments, questions etc are welcome.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited:
WOW 😍 that is a beautiful and sleek design! Love the colors, and the small subtle green pins. Awesome sheath and colors too.

Looks like it would be super comfortable as well.

A great looking knife. I loved the handle. There is a beauty that comes from simplicity.
Thanks! I totally agree- things that are stripped of superficial additions, leaving just the essence behind are inherently beautiful imo
That's a beauty, really well done.
🙌
Wowzers ! Very Earthy-sexy-Earthy….did I already say SEXY ??? Very cool knife Lorien and the sheath is gorgeous, as well. Your friend will be overjoyed. 👌💯❤️
this one belongs in the earth! Thanks brotha!
WOW 😍 that is a beautiful and sleek design! Love the colors, and the small subtle green pins. Awesome sheath and colors too.

Looks like it would be super comfortable as well.
Thank you- I do like working with colours more and more. I think a little bit goes a long way. The sheath turned out pretty great- I measured her leg up today, so I can get going on the strap set up. The dye job wasn't what I had in mind when I started, but it looked pretty neat so I went with it. Probably do more of this in the future.

specs added to OP

here's my latest Green Thumb. This one features a svelte, hollow ground blade in AEB-L. The handle scales are Terotuf, and are held to the tang via brass pins. The tang frame is canvas micarta with vulcanized fiber shims.
zjvUX2a.jpg

Back