• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Hand Engraving by Sarah Ladd - Fine art engraving, pure gold inlay, diamond setting

Surely if it was Avian Influenza they could have tested for that. Migratory birds mostly water fowl carry it... Of course I could be telling you something you already know

Surely if it was Avian Influenza they could have tested for that. Migratory birds mostly water fowl carry it... Of course I could be telling you something you already know
I was charged for an HPAI test and never got the results. The chicks I euthanized on the 4th are with the pathologist at the state veterinary diagnostics laboratory. They tested for mycoplasma gallisepticum and Newcastle. Gross necropsies showing nothing. First necropsy cultured nothing, it was a chick born sick, best they could give me was "mushy chick"... pathologist says it's not infectious laryngotracheitis, or infectious coryza, or aspergillosis, or fowl cholera, or low pathogenic avian influenza. I met with him yesterday and he said there's things he can be very sure of what it is not, but wasn't willing to speculate on what it could be. I didn't get any emails today. My favorite bird is still in quarantine, acting better but eating very little. Honestly this list of things is the best I can come up with and if it's not those things, I can no longer continue guessing. I just have to wait.

High Pathogenic was my first thought but I work in an industry where AI is a four letter word but I'm by no means one of our vets

High Pathogenic was my first thought but I work in an industry where AI is a four letter word but I'm by no means one of our vets
The day I brought the bird with conjunctivitis in, the vet did not want me to leave with my bird. He wanted to kill my bird, demanded that i pay for the test, and reported me and my property for possible AI outbreak. That was three months ago and I have not heard the results, no one has come to my house, no one has called. I would assume the state would have come and culled them with impunity within a few days of a positive result of any of the stories you read about it are true. It's respiratory. Responds to broad spectrum antibiotics. Basic medical knowledge says that means it's bacteria not viral.

What a shitty ordeal. Communication with patients about lab tests is important for plans, treatment, prevention and peace of mind. With humans we try to keep patient notified, and vets I have dealt with have always called promptly with results. I am very sorry. In

There are no support systems in place for people who care about their chickens. It is expected that I do not. At this point in the game 80% of flock owners would have euthanized the whole flock and would be preparing for a fresh set of chicks after 3 months of empty pens. I am not normal, I love my birds. So much of myself is tied up in my pets, I have been in and out of grief and hope for them for so long and I want this to end. To research all of these diseases, see there is no treatment and they remain infected carriers for life for just about all things they can catch. My chicken friends, pulling out their chicken diseases quick reference guides- 400 page, 2 inch thick QUICK GUIDE- trying to help me, but making it obvious that I'm out of my element and I should have prepared for this scenario on an emotional level. I didn't. I instead spent a year and a half pouring everything into these little birds and got everything I wanted in return. I was happy, and I wanted ten more years with them all coming to me for snuggles every morning while I drink coffee. That it's come to this is cosmic in its unfairness

Back