Help caring for an old Sykes combat dagger.

I picked up an old Sykes British combat dagger at a surplus/antique shop.It's kinda rough and I was looking for advice on how to bring it back to it's former glory.Any advice would do.

Before you do much "improvement" on it you should verify that it isn't a rare variety. What pattern is on the handle? What is the shape of the crossguard.

Take a look on the following webpage and see if you recognize your dagger there:
http://www.snyderstreasures.com/pages/edged_weapons.htm

If it's not a rare model you could first start by cleaning the metal parts of the knife with a light oil like 3-in-1 or a gun oil. Clean that off with rubbing alcohol. I'd have to know what particular problems the knife has before making other suggestions.

First thing to note, any cleaning could ruin the original blueing (that's if - there was any to begin with)
If you care about value its best to leave it be and ocassionally coat blade with some gun oil.
More importantly, never leave a carbon blade inside its sheath during storage.
However, if that's not a matter with you; you could sand down the blade to remove deep rusting/imperfections. And then polish it up with fine abrasive metal polish and "gun blue/cold blue" the bare carbon steel blade. If your's is a third pattern zinc handle F/S, you would find that the handle has been coated in a black paint. If its all worn out you could use a chemical paint stripper and wipe of all traces of the original paint and then mask off the guard/main blade before you apply a good coat of durable matt/satin finish metal/enamel spray paint. Best of luck.

Krizzard, out

"...Whoever kills with the sword must be killed by the sword... "
- The New Testament, Revelation 13:10

Back