I cannot decide between the BPS B1 and the Cold Steel SRK

I’ve narrowed my search down to these two knives. I understand these knives weren’t designed for the same purpose—they aren’t even similar.

I’m looking for a fixed blade in this budget that would be exceptionally useful doing camp chores like carving wood, skinning, field dressing, cutting fruits/meat, and more. I guess I’m trying to get one that can do everything the best. I understand that neither will do all things well. I would wear it on my hip when I go camping. I’ll probably even wear it fishing—overkill, I know— but I’d do it because I enjoy carrying fixed blades.

I’m leaning towards the SRK because it seems to be much more rugged (except the hollow grind) and useful for a bigger variety of tasks. I’m not a “knives for self defense” kind of guy, but I do think it’s cool that it COULD handle that role better than the B1. What’s holding me back is the hollow grind. I have an awful experience carving with a hollow grind. It was a Buck Bucklite Max. It didn’t carve well, but it might’ve been that the handle was so thin rather than the hollow grind being the problem as it is a hunting knife, not a bushcraft knife.

The BPS B1 is tickling my fancy because it has a scandi grind and I imagine it would carve very well, like my Mora does. I also love the idea of a leather sheath, but how good can that really be in this price range? Not very good, I’d assume.

I’m ordering one of these tonight and it’ll be shipped overnight. Which do you think would be the better knife for me? I know this is subjective, but I’m interested in hearing what all of you think.

Also, if you don’t mind taking the time, please tell me why you would pick one over the other.

Are you talking SRK San Mai or the regular SRK? I have a regular SRK and it is a decent knife and should handle all of your proposed chores. I also have a Gerber Strongarm that I personally think performs a little better but I don't think you can go wrong either way! I am not familiar with the BSP knife.

you're talking the sk-5 srk. think that ones hollow ground. the 3v I think isn't hollow ground but costs a lot more. I can't remember what the san mai version is grind wise.

I like the srk pattern myself. I'd lean this way as that other model I've never had or used.

Are you talking SRK San Mai or the regular SRK? I have a regular SRK and it is a decent knife and should handle all of your proposed chores. I also have a Gerber Strongarm that I personally think performs a little better but I don't think you can go wrong either way! I am not familiar with the BSP knife.
It’s the regular SRK. And thank you!

I think the CS Master Hunter may be better than either of those for your purposes

I’ll check that knife out asap! Thanks!

you're talking the sk-5 srk. think that ones hollow ground. the 3v I think isn't hollow ground but costs a lot more. I can't remember what the san mai version is grind wise.

I like the srk pattern myself. I'd lean this way as that other model I've never had or used.
Yeah, the hollow grind is the only real reason I sort of held off on buying it. I worry it won’t carve well. Hopefully the edge can withstand heavy wood carving.

I personally will recommend the CS SRK in SK-5. It has a 6" blade and can do most of what you're wanting. It won't be best at anything, but it will be very good at most things. Cold Steel also makes a compact version with a 5" blade. The only downside is that it's a carbon steel and can possibly rust. Let us know what you decide to get.

I would say if you want a knife that does really well at cutting things, get the B1. If you want a knife that's a bit tough, go with the SRK.

The only BPS model I own is the Adventurer. It is one of the best slicing knives I own. The scandi grind on it is at a noticably more shallow angle than that on a Mora. That said, it also develops edge problems much more quickly than my mora so I wouldn't want to use it for any rough tasks. Also, the sheath is quite good. It's not great quality leather I'm sure, but it's thick enough and well built. It's probably my favorite thing about the whole package.

I quite like the SRK too. It's the knife I gave to people that I was too scared to give a more expensive knife to. I know someone chopped with it and hit rocks on at least one occasion, and it was a little chipped but fine.

FYI: The SRK-C (“Compact”) with SK-5 steel is flat ground, unlike the standard SRK. So if you don’t mind a 1” shorter blade you can get the grind you want.

I was just going to add this. I like the SRK-C quite a bit, but the B1 is also great. The B1 is more "bushcrafty" with the larger handle. I like carrying the SRK-C more as it's a little slimmer to carry. I bought the Sk5 in orange just because it's orange, but I use the 3V version more (I'm not much a fan of blade coatings, especially crinkle coat, but I can live with it sometimes).

20240516_185833.jpg20240516_185852.jpg

Last edited:

I would go for the SRK , it’s a great beater knife and manages outdoor things with ease. i love mine and use it often .
Well, that’s what I decided to get! It arrives tomorrow. I’m excited to try it out.
FYI: The SRK-C (“Compact”) with SK-5 steel is flat ground, unlike the standard SRK. So if you don’t mind a 1” shorter blade you can get the grind you want.
I did not know that! I’ll probably pick that up eventually as well.

SK-5, a Japanese made steel, is the same as 1084, or so close it makes no difference, often used in hammers and saws, as well as railroad rails. Good stuff. The coating can be removed using a methyl chloride paint remover. I took the similar coating off my Kabar Mark 1 deck knife by soaking a towel in the stuff and wrapping it around the blade and putting it in a plastic bag for about an hour (be careful if you do this as it's nasty stuff --only use in an open well ventilated space and use rubber gloves).

Reactions: TC
In this price range and considering the SRK versus the BPS B1 I would get neither with the nod going to the SRK-C.
However, if heavier tasks and less bushcrafty-type stuff is the mission profile then, again in this proce range, the SRK would be my choice.
The SRK-C, sorta-kinda splits the difference somewhat.

Back