Off Topic If your favorite Becker was made in a higher performing steel....would you switch?

If your most used Becker was made in a more modern powered steel....would you switch?

• I could give two fricks what steel my knife is made of. (objectively wrong answer)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dr Rez

Pisser of the Couch
This thread is just a hypothetical question. If Becker Knife & Tool were too announce a run in a higher edge retention/toughness steel (in comparison with 1095/50100b) like 3v, 4v, Cruwear, Magnacut, lc200n, 12c27, aeb-l, or the many many others....would you buy that and start using it in place of?

Personally while I love my BK-16 with all my heart (its the knife that got me into firemaking and many other skills) if it came in something like 14c28n, or 3v...I would buy 10 and stash the other 9 away. I have always wondered why more (or any?) of the more high selling models like the bk16 never got Sprint Runs from Kabar. That all being said, I have always had great results with the 1095 CroVan (even if its run a little soft). Fun steel to use/grind/reshape. Now a picture so you dont all get too bored.

Ethan, if you ever read this...you know how many people would purchase those immediately....right? He probably doesnt remember Im sure, but years ago when I got my first Becker (a Bk2 maybe in like 2011?) I wrote him either an email or letter (cant remember) just mentioning how much I enjoyed using the knife and what a great design it was, and he wrote a short letter back with some Kabar-BK&T patches. Not many people would do that.

gzBamXF.jpeg

Last edited:
If I was to buy a new Becker I didn't already have I wouln't mind a higher end steel (for the current prices). But I wouldn't replace the knives I own as they funtion perfectly well... Also cant justify paying twice as much really if thats an outcome of the steel switch.

Last edited:
I have no complaints with Beckers Crovan, it's pretty good stuff and I wouldn't "switch" or give up my current Beckers for it. That being said Cruwear is one of my favorite steels and I'm sure I'd but some Beckers in Cruwear if they were offered.

There is no need to switch for me, but I'd get them nonetheless...

Neckers and Tweeners in Magnacut, the Big Guns in 3V - Count me in:)

I have no complaints with Beckers Crovan, it's pretty good stuff and I wouldn't "switch" or give up my current Beckers for it. That being said Cruwear is one of my favorite steels and I'm sure I'd but some Beckers in Cruwear if they were offered.
I wish we saw more blades in Cruwear. Seems to be far less widespread than 3v.

This thread is just a hypothetical question. If Becker Knife & Tool were too announce a run in a higher edge retention/toughness steel (in comparison with 1095/50100b) like 3v, 4v, Cruwear, Magnacut, lc200n, 12c27, aeb-l, or the many many others....would you buy that and start using it in place of?

Personally while I love my BK-16 with all my heart (its the knife that got me into firemaking and many other skills) if it came in something like 14c28n, or 3v...I would buy 10 and stash the other 9 away. I have always wondered why more (or any?) of the more high selling models like the bk16 never got Sprint Runs from Kabar. That all being said, I have always had great results with the 1095 CroVan (even if its run a little soft). Fun steel to use/grind/reshape. Now a picture so you dont all get too bored.

Ethan, if you ever read this...you know how many people would purchase those immediately....right? He probably doesnt remember Im sure, but years ago when I got my first Becker (a Bk2 maybe in like 2011?) I wrote him either an email or letter (cant remember) just mentioning how much I enjoyed using the knife and what a great design it was, and he wrote a short letter back with some Kabar-BK&T patches. Not many people would do that.

gzBamXF.jpeg

who made the birch bark puukko?
also - the Finns do a nice job with their 80CRV2, don't they? (I have a 110, 200, & 240)

I never got into the different steels, etc. 1095CV has always worked well for me. I have no complaints with it.
Dont get me wrong...The 1095 in my Beckers has always been great!

One thing however is that when cutting around bone or ligaments, or anything with sand/etc in it the edge retention definitly leaves room to be desired. Although the ease of sharpening is definitly nice out in the field.

I have thoughts. :)

3V would be sweet.
AEB-L would be the best stainless fit for the Becker line, IMO.

When I get around to cutting up my stick of Magnacut I'll probably update that opinion, but I think for the general Becker target, AEB-L is probably very very good because it maximizes toughness. Great in the kitchen too.

I would argue 14c28n does everything better than Aeb-l. Would definitly be my choice. My most use knives are (3) Spanish Joker's all in 14c28n. Wonderful stuff.

another an impeccable choice.

I'd be surprised if most users could tell the difference, they're so close. Not available from my usual suppliers or I might give it a go myself. I have 4ft of Nitro-V too, which is in the same family, but haven't bitten into that yet either. Some day...

I'm fine with 1095 or the stainless mora uses. That are a good balance between ease of sharpening and edge retention if I have to get out diamond stone to touch up a blade in a reasonable time I don't want it

Back