Interesting Chrysocolla/Quartz related thread at the Lapidary site (Rock site)

There is a very interesting thread over on the Lapidary site about copper related gem Silica - 17,000 USD/39 kg, Gemsillica/High Sillicafied Chrysoccola from Indonesia.

http://gemstone.smfforfree4.com/index.php/topic,12372.15.html

The copper in Quartz stones I get from Arizona are very closely connected. (Vulture Mountain, Harquahala Mt, Bouse Az and Globe)

The other really interesting aspect of the thread has to do with stone(s) changing colors and appearance for reasons unknown. I have found that the knife socks affect some stones in a positive manner, specifically just about all Jades and the Peruvian Copper related scales. I suspect the Jade and Peruvian stone have their moisture content kept stable by the knife socks and/or the silicone in the sock displaces the water.

Anyway, it is an interesting read - especially if any of you are trying to collect the copper related stones I work with - specifically the ones that have some to high silica content and all of the ones I mentioned have some silica content. Some of the Vulture Mt and Harquahala Mt material is very high silica content.

This stone will probably be sold by the carat. If anyone would be interested there will be slabs big enough for knife scales.

Mike,

This Gem Chrysocolla is downright awesome and I would certainly be interested in a premium knife, hopefully a Buck 110 and/or Case Barehead Peanut. Did you get a chance to purchase any stone yet?

Best to you and your artful stone works,
Dennis

He cut the slabs too thick for knife scales and it would have cost over $700. for one set.....

$700 scales! Yikes! It is amazing stone, but WOW, what a price! I agree with Dennis, if only we could have acquired a couple slabs for a reasonable cost.

Back