KA-BAR Red Spacer Dog's Head

The red spacer is awesome. I love the heavy guard. Interesting they even went back to the stapled sheath.

Very nice looking knife.

Anyone get one? The link no longer works. Are they sold out? I am way past having enough KA-BAR knives. Yet I still want this one! Nice job KA-BAR!

I have a query on this one.
My understanding is the first sheaths (which includes the Red spacers)had 7 small round rivets, then went to larger round ones.
The stapled models coming next as supply of round rivets dried up.
Have I got that right?
JKK368j.jpg

Interesting the 1/4 inch pommel as well.
They started out with 1/4 inch, then changed to 3/8, then back to 1/4.
Always wondered why when Ka-Bar started making the 1217 in the mid '70's, they chose to go with the 3/8 pommel?

I've never really been interested in a classic shaped Kabar knife until seeing the Dog's Head Red Spacer model. Now I must have one.

Last edited:
I have a query on this one.
My understanding is the first sheaths (which includes the Red spacers)had 7 small round rivets, then went to larger round ones.
The stapled models coming next as supply of round rivets dried up.
Have I got that right?
JKK368j.jpg

Interesting the 1/4 inch pommel as well.
They started out with 1/4 inch, then changed to 3/8, then back to 1/4.
Always wondered why when Ka-Bar started making the 1217 in the mid '70's, they chose to go with the 3/8 pommel?

Kabar went with a 3/8" blind-pinned pommel to prevent anyone from using their modern production units to fake WW2 era knives. No real WW2 or VN era 1219C2/USN-MK2 was ever made that had a thick pinned pommel. All WW2/VN 1219C2s/USN-MK2s either had a 3/8" split-nut/peened/welded pommel or they had a 1/4" full pinned pommel. They also changed the stamp font to a deep/wider font.

The first 1219C2s were based on the 7" version of the Kabar model 71 hunting knife and had 3/8" thick pommels assembled using a split nut assembly, which was changed by the first change order to have the pommel peened or welded on rather than screwed on. This is the first I have ever heard of the 1219C2s starting out with a thin pommels as the only specs I have ever seen specified 3/8"pommels until the change to 1/4".

Kabar went with a 3/8" blind-pinned pommel to prevent anyone from using their modern production units to fake WW2 era knives. No real WW2 or VN era 1219C2/USN-MK2 was ever made that had a thick pinned pommel. All WW2/VN 1219C2s/USN-MK2s either had a 3/8" split-nut/peened/welded pommel or they had a 1/4" full pinned pommel. They also changed the stamp font to a deep/wider font.

The first 1219C2s were based on the 7" version of the Kabar model 71 hunting knife and had 3/8" thick pommels assembled using a split nut assembly, which was changed by the first change order to have the pommel peened or welded on rather than screwed on. This is the first I have ever heard of the 1219C2s starting out with a thin pommels as the only specs I have ever seen specified 3/8"pommels until the change to 1/4".
Thankyou for jogging my rather poor memory.
I had forgotten about the split nut versions with the 3/8 pommels!
Yes, these were before the thin pommel.
Just to answer my own question, this is why the repos have thick pommels.
Thanks Z, much appreciated for your knowledge.:thumbsup:

Back