Recommendation? Katana length and maker?

Hello, I am a newbie here so forgive my ignorance. I studied a little Shotokan and Kendo in my teens but I will never tell you how many decades ago that was!!! I have had a few stainless steel display Katanas but am now looking for a functional/practical cutting blade. I am leaning toward a T10 differentially hardened blade but am overwhelmed by all the makers out there. I have checked out SBG and some other reviewers but as sellers, I find it hard to take them as unbiased. I have seen Ronin, Ryujin, Paul Chen/Hanwei, Cheness, Northshire, etc... Can ANYONE just tell me the best T10 DH blade with descent furniture for under $500?! I have not given up on 1095 either though. One other question... I am 6' 0.5"... Is it worth the time and money to get a custom length blade? according to the data out there, I should have a 30-31 inch blade. I believe most Katanas are a little shorter and O Katanas a little longer. Any thoughts?

I won't begin to pretend to tell you who makes the best of the chitana these days. In think that we're I in that market today, I would save some more and buy one from Bugei. With respect to length unless you are an actual practitioner or collector I don't think it is worth the extra expense to get a custom piece.

Back